Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my breathing pattern normal?
RE: Is my breathing pattern normal?
Can I also seek advice on whether I should increase my min. pressure? And if so, how much then?
Currently, it is set to 4mmH2O. I read on other threads that some users will benefit from higher min. pressure setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd set the minimum at 10cm based on the chart you posted before.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Retlif, CPAP is nothing more than trial and error. The only reason no one suggested a higher minimum pressure is your good results at current settings, and lack of objection to the low starting pressure. Your machine is set to the default minimum pressure of 4.0 and maximum of 20.0. However your median pressure is over 11.5 cm and the 95% pressure is over 14. The best sleep is usually achieved when pressure changes are less than 4 cm. Clearly if you are game to make some changes, I would suggest a pressure range of 9.0 to 16.0. This will quickly move you into an optimized range.

Part of the problem is that you posted two closeups of therapy rather than an overview of the entire night. We don't know why pressure increased to your effective therapy range, but obviously a minimum pressure of 4.0 is way out of place. You are also not using other settings like Flex. It would help to know more details on your perception of comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Wala Wala and Sleeprider!

Sorry for the late reply. Swamped with work.
I have been slowly increasing the min. pressure by 1mmH2O/week and ending at 10mmH2O eventually.
Apart from your suggestions, I had also re-look at the details charts to understand what the machine is doing during the nights. For weeks, ~9mmH2O has been the lowest pressure the machine went to before either OA or H occurs again.

I used to have EPR enabled. I must have the settings done incorrectly because my AHI increased. (Possibly because min. EPAP was too low and airway collapsed again.)
The sleep technicians from the hospital also told me to disable it because I have a very high RDI (75/hr or so).

TBH, I probably will not bother to mess with EPR since after I put on my mask, I practically fall immediately to sleep and stay asleep. After using for over 2 months, the CPAP is practically an extension of me now. Not bothered by the mask nor the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,663 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.