Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my breathing shallow ?
RE: Is my breathing shallow ?
(07-09-2017, 05:02 PM)car54 Wrote: I have been following this post and it is very interesting. I also suffer from nasal congestion. I take a daily allergy tablet year round and generic Flonase and Benadryl  before sleeping.  My congestion has always improved when I use cpap. Years ago I had a sinus surgery to correct a deviate septum and had my sinus's scraped. This drastically cut down on nasal infections. If your problems are sinus related have you investigated any surgical options.

car54

I seem to suffer the nasal congestion worst at night.  Like now after being up for a few hours, although is still a bit stuffy, I'm breathing through my nose.
I might try using the humidifier and see what that does. I haven't used it since last winter when I tried it for a few weeks. I don't remember it being much help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that when my sinus's get bad I also use a steam inhaler twice a day.

Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I just drop in 2 things regarding humidifiers (they are from Fisher & Paykel - but the concept is the same for all manufacturers and devices):
https://www.fphcare.com/getattachment/e4...n-brochure
https://www.fphcare.com/getattachment/69...y-overview

for me, some nights I do better with lower humidity - some other nights I need a higher setting. It pretty much depends on my nose and the weather. (and on some other nights I wish, there would be a (useable) heated hose for my device)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks TBMx for the info on humidify.
I bumped up the pressure to 15 last night. It didn't seem to make much difference except raising my leaks. I will go back to 14.

[Image: znQZO30l.png]
[Image: EjFAXlwl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
If I had this set of circumstances I would try to fix the respirations and tidal and minute volume.  I would try to work my pressures toward the following and shifting would be gradual:

min 12 cm
max 16 cm
EPR 3

This is based on Jul 5 and the many other nights 95% pressure.

I would be looking for minute volume of 12 l/m or less for 95% mv.  Looking for respirations to return to median of 14 per minute and 95% being less than 25.  I would look for median tidal volume of over 450 ml.

I would be taking an allergy pill like Sudafed PE an hour before bed, and lie in the same position as I would be in during sleep for at least 15 minutes prior to masking up.

I would be sleeping in a room with temperature of 68 to 74 deg F and have moderate (not high) humidity.

I would make sure I was not restricting the free movement of my abdominal region, so all my breaths during sleep could be done using the abdomen rather than chest.  I would practice allowing relaxed exhale (not forcing air out by tensing abdominal muscles), just allowing the balloon to deflate on it's own.

QAL

update: I think I would also try breathe-right strip on my nose to see if they might hold my nostrils open enough to help.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
why don't you post the SD card or email the charts to your sleep doctor, If he thinks it's urgent and I think he will. He will move forward your appointment.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I tried the settings QAL suggested at 12 – 16 EPR 3 and the results look a lot better to this untrained eye.
It will be interesting to see how I go over a few nights.

[Image: nGVGMTCl.png]

[Image: 1R7xASxl.png]

[Image: Lmx4Guol.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking good! How do you feel?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2017, 03:32 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Looking good!  How do you feel?

I feel good but then I have never felt bad or unwell. My nose was as blocked as ever when I woke up. Fingers crossed.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you now have is normal flow-limited breathing. Add 1-cm and you might actually kill that nonsense.

I still think a BiPAP would be a good addition in this case; however, look where your tidal volume is now compared to early results!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 44 1,085 53 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 381 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 488 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.