Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my dreamstation humidifier working?
Is my dreamstation humidifier working?
I posted previously that switching my dreamstation from no ramp to a 15 minute ramp changed the amount of water used overnight in the humidifier. No ramp used lots of water...with the ramp on, the machine seems to use no water.  No other setting has been changed...just the ramp.

My APAP is set to adaptive humidification and the dial setting is 4.  This morning, I felt the plate at the bottom of the humidifier tank immediately after turning off the APAP....and it was room temperature.  I expected it to be at least slightly warm.  I have tried setting the dial to both 3 and 4 and I don't feel or experience any difference....maybe I should sleep for one night with a setting of 1 to see if I can tell the difference (or if the setting has no effect).

Any thoughts?  Is there any way to test if the humidifier is actually working?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my dreamstation humidifier working?
Quote:My APAP is set to adaptive humidification and the dial setting is 4

If it is on Adaptive it will only provide humidification if it is needed, so the tank might not heat at all if there is enough humidity..
If you put it on manual it will heat to what you set it to, the higher temperature the more it will heat and use water, but that is stating the obvious.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
That suggests that my ambient humidity at home is high enough that the APAP doesn't need to add any humidity to the air.....and, if so, then I've been wasting my time filling the water chamber at all Smile  That's good news.  I'm going to try tonight with a setting of 1 and see what happens.

The humidity in our home is generally just under 50% (florida) even with a/c or heat as needed.  Of course when I take it on trips, I may need that humidity, especially if I go north where heat is on in the hotel/home.
Post Reply Post Reply
Switch off adaptive mode. It does not work apporopriately
Post Reply Post Reply
Adaptive works fine on my Dreamstation... depending on ambient humidity, it will use 1% to 95% of the water in the tank (has only run dry twice in 18 months)

I've switched off my humidity and no longer put water in the tank, I find it reduces my nasal congestion markedly.. for others it seems to be the opposite, maxing humidity keeps their congestion from building.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started off using no humidifier at all because sleep doctor wanted to keep it simple: It was simply unbearable. Headaches and severe congestion, I simply felt sick every morning. I was told to use cortisone to make it bearable - nonsense!. After two weeks I got a humidifier after insisting - big relief, since then no more problems with congestion. Obviously I'm quite sensitive to dry air.
This is even during times when the ambient air is about 80% humidity.
Then I tried different settings so the mask is not getting wet inside and not to have congestion either.
Of course I tried adaptive Setting, because it sounds good in the first place. Unfortunately I was like Russian Roulette every day. You never knew if you were waking up with dry nose and congestion, OK or with a wet mask on the opposite.
My final conclusion after 2 years of experience: humidity Setting of 3-4 in manual mode, a 22mm second source heated hose for ambient temperatures below 20°C + a Fleece cover for the hose. This is finally the only reliable combination that gives me satisfactory comfort. I tried all other combinations without good results. It was really important for me because there is a major effect on AHI and therapy as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 316 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 141 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 192 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 478 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.