Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my humidifier working or not?
Is my humidifier working or not?
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I need help here.

How can I be sure it is working? I set Humidity to 4, but I do not see any vapor inside the tub. Nor anythinhg even remotely similar to humidity in the air tubing or mask.

I can’t feel any humidity or heat in the air I breath. My nose and airways are getting a bit dry... It is not being comfortable. I augmented the humidity to 5 and got absolutely no change. 

When I start the therapy, the display shows the icons of heating and humidity. They remain lit all the time. They never go out.

I made a test. I stopped the therapy after 3 hours. I turned off the CPAP. I carefully pulled the humidifier tub out of the main device. I touched the metalic plaques (1 - inside the CPAP; 2 - beneath the tub): both were totally cold! How can the humidifier work if the plaques are 100% cold? Water will never get hot, there will never be no vapor. [Moreover, the heating icon and humidity icons are lit!]

My CPAP is brand new. I bought it very recently (october 9th). I am affraid it can be defective.

I have already read the User Manual and the Clinical Manual entirely and got no clue. The ResMed site has some Q&A that simply say “look for the green smiley for the humidifier”, but if the plaques are not getting hot and there is no vapor, what is the value of an icon?

Or am I doing something wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my humidifier working or not?
Hi Roger Oscar Lima,

First  Welcome

OK secondly, there are 2 possibilities that come to mind with the humidifier. One is the settings you're using. I think your ResMed device should have an Auto or Manual choice, and then you then should have options for humidity level and the heated hose if it's available.

Auto has the device decide whether you're getting humid air according to what it senses how dry or humid it already is. Manual, which is what I use, allows you to control how humid that air you breathe becomes regardless of your room condition. Humidity Level ranges from Off then 1 - 8, where the higher the number is, the more heat and humidity it should produce. So you can check settings.

Part 2 is that the humidifier is in fact broke. Assuming you're in manual mode, after a short time, the metal bottom plate in the tub should be somewhat warm. How warm it has become is tied to your humidifier setting. If you have no temperature change regardless of setting, it's probably defective.

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have an answer for you, but this is what happened to me. The humidifier quit working on my 6 month old Resmed AirSense10. To test it, I ran it up to 8 and there was no change, it was cold, it didn't go through any water. I took it back to the supplier, where the tech looked at it and told me nothing was wrong because there was no error message. He told me I just wasn't aware it was working and that I had to buy a heated hose. I was having a bad day, and my responses to him were not all that pleasant. I apologized, but in the end he talked to his supervisor and they gave me a new machine rather than worry I might come back. That night I almost drowned because I had the humidity turned up all the way. The new machine definitely worked, my old one definitely didn't – even though there was no error message.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your not going to see vapor in the tank or hose that would be fog. The humidifier increases the water content of the air based on evaporation. If you look at a lake in the summer there's evaporation going on from the heat of the sun. But you don't see it.
If your water dish/tub has lost some water during the night than it's working. Try turning it up all the way and use it all night.
You'll know if it's working or not in the morning.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, Uphill and Walla Walla
Thanks for the wellcome and the replies. All of them were very useful, informative and very educative for me.

1 - I don't have Auto or Manual settings because my hose is the SlimLine, the original one that came with the CPAP. Not the optional ClimateLineAir heated
air tubing.

2 - I tested as suggested: set humidity to 8, run it all the night, stopped it and checked the warming plaques. They were somewhat hot: not capable of burning my fingers, but anyway, warm.

3 - After about 7 hours of therapy, there was a noticeable decrease on the water level in the water tub.

I conclude that  my humidifier is working, thanks God.
Post Reply Post Reply
One additional note. I don't know if this is important or not, but it confuses me.

If Humidity Level is 1, 2, 3... or even 6, when I stop the therapy, take out the tub and touch the heating plaques, I can't feel any warming. At these settings, they do not get even slightly warm (at least my fingers can't feel). The impression is that, at these levels, the plaques stay cold, regardless of the duration of the therapy.

I have not tested 7 yet. The only setting that produced a noticeable warming was level 8.

Nevertheless, the water level really lowers after a night of use at level 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was wondering this myself. Turned up the humidity. It was wonderful until my house filled up with water.

Rain out.... More like flood out.

Any thoughts to whether me ordering a climate line were worthwhile had been answered. 

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
The max temperature the climateline hose runs at is 86 degrees. I'm guessing the humidifier plate runs pretty close to that. That's not hot to the touch. The human body temperature is 98.6 degrees. It's enough to evaporate the water over 8 hours though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
Walla Walla is right. Despite it not feeling hot to the touch, if your water level decreases noticeably over usage, it's most likely working correctly. In my opinion, humidity settings, and if a heated hose are used, it's setting as well, are Comfort and personal preference. Unless the settings you have available aren't providing your preferred comfort level, you should be fine.

Now if it's not comfortable with any setting you have available, then you have something to address. Some like a heated hose, it's my personal preference too. Some use a cover on the hose. Some also invest in hose hangers. I'm getting both when I've got the money to invest.

Hope that helps,

Dave B
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All understood. Thank you all for your help.

Roger
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 95 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.