Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my local DME crooked or is this normal?
RE: Is my local DME crooked or is this normal?
prescriptions expire after 1 year. doesn't matter what's written on them. that is the reason for the need of a new prescription.

do you have to have a follow up visit with the dr.? not necessarily. some dr.'s will send a script without seeing you. other dr.'s require to see you before blindly writing scripts.

Information from insurance companies is not always accurate. they'll tell the pt. they cover certain items and they'll end up getting billed for those items because they don't cover them. has happened several times. the people the medical billers contact can give different information than what the pt. receives.

so threatening a dme company with a "my insurance says this" comment is laughable.

good luck taking your >1 year old script to a different dme company.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 03:37 PM)dmeRT Wrote: prescriptions expire after 1 year.  doesn't matter what's written on them.  that is the reason for the need of a new prescription.  
That law is for controlled drugs.  It doesn't apply to CPAP Supplies.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 03:37 PM)dmeRT Wrote: prescriptions expire after 1 year.  doesn't matter what's written on them.  that is the reason for the need of a new prescription.  

do you have to have a follow up visit with the dr.?   not necessarily.  some dr.'s will send a script without seeing you.  other dr.'s require to see you before blindly writing scripts.

Information from insurance companies is not always accurate.  they'll tell the pt. they cover certain items and they'll end up getting billed for those items because they don't cover them.  has happened several times.  the people the medical billers contact can give different information than what the pt. receives.

so threatening a dme company with a "my insurance says this" comment is laughable.  

I confirmed with the DME today that this is strictly an in-house policy and it has nothing to do with the insurance company so I'm not quite sure what 1 year your prescription you are referring to. It clearly states 99 on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If an insurance provider is contracted with the DME and authorizes reimbursement, the DME must dispense covered items according to the contract. Your alternative is to find another provider. Personally I’d fire these fools.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah sleeprider I'm just going to find another provider. I talked to the manager and doctor today who were so unprofessional even though I was calm the whole entire time to the point that he started making unprofessional comments like "I charge $400 an hour and your waisting my time" and also said "you just swing by here to pick up equipment. What do you think this is burger King". I was shocked by the unprofessionalism. I advised him that I'm recording the conversation and he said that's fine. Texas is a one party consent state so I have the right to record. I don't know the rules about uploading to YouTube to expose the unprofessionalism but I may take that route if I am able to legally.
Post Reply Post Reply
If that business model is what works for them, then changing providers is the best move. What conceit and disrespect!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 03:37 PM)dmeRT Wrote: prescriptions expire after 1 year. 

Not for durable medical equipment and related supplies - that one year expiration is for pharmaceutical drugs.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 03:37 PM)dmeRT Wrote: so threatening a dme company with a "my insurance says this" comment is laughable.  

If you're an RT who works for a DME, sounds like you've been duped by your employer.

Making intentionally false statements to patients in an attempt to get them to pay out of pocket for the full retail cost of something that is covered by their insurance company is at best unethical and at worst, could be illegal in some jurisdictions. Medical professionals in the U.S. have a legal duty to care for the best interests of the patient.  In some cases, such activity is considered criminal if it's found that they are guilty of financial exploitation of patients.

You're not doing your profession a good service by your statements above and your attitude reeks of the egotistical "I know better than you ignorant patients" attitude that some "medical professionals" seem to have.

Annoyed-and-disappointed
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 08:02 PM)Michaely6 Wrote: I talked to the manager and doctor today who were so unprofessional even though I was calm the whole entire time to the point that he started making unprofessional comments like "I charge $400 an hour and your waisting my time" and also said "you just swing by here to pick up equipment. What do you think this is burger King". I was shocked by the unprofessionalism.

That comment from the DMEdroids would be hiliarious if it weren't so pathetic and stupid. What do they think their shop is, a coffeehouse for socializing and shooting the bull and sitting around killing time? Do they expect you to drop by occasionally to do more than pick up equipment that your insurer is paying them for? Like what, exactly? Are they not in the very business of supplying equipment according to the orders of each patient's insurer and doctor, and do they not make monstrous profits from that? If they're so poor and put-upon and cash-starved, why don't they go out of business?

Holy arrogant greedhead megalomaniacs, Batman!

DMEs have obviously taken over the social niche that has traditionally been occupied by used-car salesmen: worst reputation, collectively, for being lying, cheating, horse-thieving varmints.

As you have discovered: Yes, your DME is crooked, and yes, that is normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh and I forgot to mention that the Doctor Owns the company. Go figure lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 416 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,694 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.