Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my machine intuitive
RE: Is my machine intuitive
(05-27-2019, 09:06 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: All we can ask for is to get effective comfortable therapy from these devices, and you seem to have found what works for you.

I feel like I have had great success as the 20+ EPAP setting seems to always keep my airway open. I use S mode as I don't seem to need assistance in taking breaths. The Flow Chart appears to working fine and I can see where most reported apnea events are when I'm awake, spring a leak at night, disconnect and reconnect, etc. when I'm sleeping it looks smooth and consistent. 

Thankfully I found this site as I would not have tried working with the machine had I not gained knowledge and encouragement. This machine is likely less complicated with fewer settings, which, results in an easier learning curve for me. 

My #1 and only problem right now is being woke up due to mask problems. I studied and employed every tactic I've found here and on the net. I'm likely going to give the new ResMed F30 a try. That looks promising. The F10 and 20 both leak at some point during the night. It's not such a big deal anymore as I've learned to adjust and go back to sleep quickly in the dark. 

I have found what is working for me, but I will also make it work better. No matter what happens from here, I'm sold on CPAP.
I tried sleeping without it one night and every bad thing that was happening prior to CPAP all came back.  Oh-jeez 

Can't wait for OSCAR to start fully working with my machine.

Thanks for all your help. It means a lot.. Thanks
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my machine intuitive
(05-27-2019, 09:06 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ST is basically a non-automatic bilevel positive pressure machine with a timed backup to trigger IPAP.  This is the most rudimentary of the advanced bilevels with fixed EPAP and IPAP and a timer for backup.  Compare to the ASV or Auto SV which provides automatic adjustment of EPAP and adaptive IPAP that can range from zero to the capacity of the machine to provide pressure support when needed, as needed.  Auto BiPAP has no backup rate to switch to IPAP, but it can automatically adjust EPAP for obstruction, and in the case of Respironics can also adjust pressure support within a set range.   BiFlex is simply a program that affects how fast pressure rises when IPAP is triggered, and reduces pressure for ahead of exhale to make the transition smoother, The Respironics BiPAP ST has a square-wave appearing pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP. BiFlex rounds out those square waves to a more rounded sine wave.

You hit the nail on the head. 

Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) is a non-invasive ventilatory treatment option created specifically for the treatment of adults who have obstructive sleep apnea and central and/or complex sleep apnea. It's one of the newer positive airway pressure (PAP) units on the market that continuously monitor the patient's breathing problem.

The clinically-published ASV algorithm constantly learns, responds, predicts and synchronizes with the patient’s respiratory pattern to help rapidly stabilize respiration. The pressure support varies to respond to the patient's need. Mandatory breaths are delivered at the patient’s recent spontaneous breath rate.

The ASV Auto Mode analyzes the state of the patient’s upper airway on a breath-by-breath basis and delivers expiratory pressure within the allowed range.

Auto BiPAP has no backup rate to switch to IPAP, but it can automatically adjust EPAP for obstruction, and in the case of Respironics can also adjust pressure support within a set range. 

Auto CPAP machines are often referred to by many names such as auto adjusting CPAP, APAP, or auto-titrating; and what this means is the device is equipment with software that adjusts the CPAP pressure based on your specific need. 

AutoPAP typically has a minimum pressure range (i.e. 4 cm/H2O) and a maximum pressure range (i.e. 20cm/h2O) and the machine will provide variable pressure based on your sleep therapy needs when it detects airway closure and snoring. 

Auto CPAPs also have the capability to be set in fixed pressure CPAP mode.

Auto titrating occurs in a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine when the machine’s sensor and internal algorithm adjust air pressure on a breath by breath basis. This provides the user the least amount of pressure to maintain integrity of the airway.

Auto Titrating sound snazzy doesn't it...LOL

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,282 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,778 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,299 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,738 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
Question [CPAP] Counter intuitive Data Alan Speed 7 1,466 11-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Alan Speed
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,236 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.