Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my mask or machine faulty?
Is my mask or machine faulty?
I've been using my ResMed AirSense S10 and Philips DreamWear mask for just over six months for mild sleep apnea (AHI was 10 in my sleep study).

In the last week or so, I've experienced difficulty breathing upon putting on my mask. I'll persevere for 4-5 mins and then turn off the machine. On each of the occasions I've done this, the machine reports that 60 centrals have occurred in those few minutes, despite me being awake. The pressure doesn't increase - it stays on 6. It occurs regardless of whether I have the humidifier connected (I have the side panel to enable me to use the machine without the humidifier).

I tested the machine this morning and noticed that if I open my mouth, instead of the air rushing out of my mouth like it used to, it seems to blow out onto my nose/face. The mask is fitted as tightly as it's always been.

Aside from a significant mutation of my anatomy, could I have a hole in the mask? Is the machine faulty? Are there any obvious causes? I don't have another mask to test.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my mask or machine faulty?
This is something I've not heard of.  Are you are unable to inhale through your nose when pressure is applied?  When that happens, you open your mouth and can inhale/exhale.  Is it possible you have an anatomical issue in your nose that blocks the flow under pressure?  How repeatable is the problem?  Would it occur if you were to put on the mask for your doctor or provider?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 05:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is something I've not heard of.  Are you are unable to inhale through your nose when pressure is applied?  When that happens, you open your mouth and can inhale/exhale.  Is it possible you have an anatomical issue in your nose that blocks the flow under pressure?  How repeatable is the problem?  Would it occur if you were to put on the mask for your doctor or provider?

My nose might be partially blocked, but it's definitely not completely blocked. I can inhale/exhale through my mouth, but previously when I opened my mouth, air would come rushing out, which I would imagine is the same for everyone. Now when I try it, there's no air coming out.

It's possible I have an anatomical issue, but I'd imagine I would also have issues breathing if a lack of air is being delivered. I figured a lack of air could be caused by an issue with the mask or machine. The fact that the machine is recording dozens of events when I'm not even asleep suggests something's amiss. Smile

I purchased the machine from overseas, so I don't really have a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the pressure on, open your mouth and say "ahhh". I bet you have simply mastered the tongue block that keeps air out of your mouth, and you simply are not aware that you are blocking the airflow to keep it in the nasal and airway passage. If so, congrats!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 11:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: With the pressure on, open your mouth and say "ahhh".  I bet you have simply mastered the tongue block that keeps air out of your mouth, and you simply are not aware that you are blocking the airflow to keep it in the nasal and airway passage.  If so, congrats!

I mastered closing my throat a long time ago. Wink

It happened again last night. I suspect there is some air coming out of my mouth, but it's not the gush that usually occurs. I definitely felt like I was suffocating with the mask on, so I don't think it's delivering the pressure that it reports. I've changed the filter and reconnected everything, so I'm not sure what else to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have changed the air intake filter on the machine?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2017, 09:13 PM)Beej Wrote: Have changed the air intake filter on the machine?

Yeah, I changed it a few days ago.

I think my nose is a little more congested than I realised, possibly due to being a bit stressed lately, so maybe that's part of it.

Anyway, last night, I used a nasal spray and ran the warm up before bed (which I don't normally do), so that the air was at 30 degrees before using it.

I managed to wear the mask for a few hours at least and my AHI was 4, which is better than 60 in five minutes like it's been on other nights.

Would a partially blocked nose increase the reported AHI on the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure can be checked on the machine using a manometer, or simply inserting the hose in a glass of water to the depth in centimeters, the pressure is set to. If you have a supplier, they should have equipment to check pressure easily. You can do a search on cpap manometer to find devices to do this, or try this: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-dollars
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper and discovered the following thread about air flow being restricted with the DreamWear mask. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ear-Issues

I suspect that's part of the problem, although I don't know why it's suddenly become a major issue. I may have to consider getting a P10, which I really didn't like. In fact, if it wasn't for the DreamWear mask, I don't know that I would've stuck with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,299 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 157 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 323 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 909 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 757 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 386 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] I think my ResMed Airsense 10 machine is faulty – Can any one please help . BangkokBoy 13 2,026 09-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.