Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble in Sleep Lab
Trouble in Sleep Lab
Hello the Forum,

I had a follow up visit to my sleep lab. This is an appointment my pulmonologist set at last visit. During that last visit is when I found out the prior overnight oximeter test recorded my blood oxygen down to 79% using auto bi-pap therapy.

I did not get to see the doctor. I had brought some sleepy head printouts, which was not well received. I asked about a prescription for a recording oximeter. Was told, that is a test, which a doctor must evaluate, not for me to use on my own! I was mild and polite, not wanting to offend. I reminded her that I had run an overnight oximeter test and that it showed blood oxygen going down to 79%, that I am concerned to monitor it. She informed me that there is NO RECORD in my chart indicating low oxygen! I told her that the pulmonologist at this last office visit told me to start using my oxygen concentrator. She let me know there is no entry in my chart about using a oxygen concentrator! She avoided answering my question whether they could prescribe an oximeter, she danced around that and would not answer. Wow. I have almost 2 decades of apnea and have been hit hard by hypoxia.

When I asked to see my doctor, who was there, she wanted to know what I wanted to talk with him about, to "give him a heads up!" She came back, stating he was too busy with appointments. I feel I got screened. Two months till I can see him.

They use my MyChart online medical records. I do not see my sleep study, oximeter test, or doctors notes. I feel then like requesting them directly. It is most difficult to go get there oximeter, then return it next morning by 10 am. I don't always well in the morning. Their office is a +45 mile drive each way. I had combined two visits that day. I next saw my primary care doctor. Good guy.

I described my problem, he is willing to prescribe the items needed.
So, is this typical with sleep labs? Will another sleep lab take over without running another overnight test? Which with Medicare is typical one every few years.

Primary care doctor is trying me on a new diabetes med, last two nights. Each morning is like I got hit with a hammer. Sleepyhead show increased AHI. I was using my oxygen concentrator. Hypoxia. But I don't know how bad. I will post the screen, later today.

Thanks, Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble in Sleep Lab
A good doctor should answer your questions and make you feel that you are being competently treated, if you do not feel comfortable with your current doc, get a new one. HIPPA gives you the right to request and see and get copies of your medical records. I and others on the web have requested copies of our sleep test and prescriptions and by law they have to give them to you. Not only do you have a legal right to get the information but it is good procedural record keeping if you need it in the future (might save you the cost of another sleep study). I would think that another doctor would read your sleep study and prescribe treatment. People are constantly taking or transferring medical records to new doctors everyday. Insist on your medical records and if they do not comply file a grievance with the US department of Health, As a side note, I posted my sleep study on this site and members suggested the type of equipment and the settings. Because of going in having an idea of what I needed, I was able to knowledgeably discuss my treatment options with my doctor and ended up with equipment and settings that worked very well for me. Do your research, find out the type of equipment you want or need (preferably an auto machine with data recording abilities) and get started out on the right foot. Good luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,146 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 287 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 224 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 254 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 502 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 731 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.