Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my pressure too high?
Is my pressure too high?
Hi All,

New to the Apnea world and learning.

Diagnosed with OSA several months ago, after jumping through many hoops finally have ended up with a Resmed S9 Autoset w/humidifier and a full face mask.

The default setting appears to be 4-20 and it is set for smart start up.

When I put on the mask it seem to let you breathe pretty normally and go to sleep.

For the last several nights I've been woken up around 4-5am with air being pushed out around the mask as if the pressure has greatly increased.

If I cinch the mask up tighter it seals but is very uncomfortable doing so.

My thought is the machine is not set right, any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my pressure too high?
Hi DennisM, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your question but hang tight and someone will be along to give you suggestions. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dennis... welcome!

Need a bit more info...

Did you get a copy of your sleep study? Posting that info might help here to a degree... specifically, the titration part of the study would show what pressure setting(s) were recommended... that would be a start.

Also, I would recommend you get a free copy of ResScan (directions on how to get it here in the Private Files & Links Forum). You can monitor your AHI, pressure and other data with it easily - you just need a cheap $20 SD card reader for your PC.

Your machine is currently operating in "Wide open" mode (4-20 cmH2O of pressure), and while this might be a good starting place, generally-speaking, a more narrow range of pressures (customized and optimized to minimize your AHI levels) is much better.

The two things you're going to be interested in is your average AHI levels and also your CPAP's 95% pressure levels. Once you post those, we can help you with more specifics.

Here's an info page about your ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP machine that will help you (includes video):

http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Also, is there any reason as to why you're using a Full Face Mask? They are notorious for leaking and if you can in any way tolerate a standard nasal mask or nasal pillows system, those are going to be a far better choice for you in the long run.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tightening the straps can actually cause more leaks than it fixes. So if you are tightening it so much the mask or straps hurt, it's too tight.

When was the last time you saw your sleep doc?

Does the doc or the ins. company want to see the data on the card?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Whats was titrated pressure from the sleep study?
Do you have a followup with the sleep doctor?
You can turn off smart start in the clinical menu.
You need to check sleep quality report stats on the machine LCD screen
S9 setup instruction and video
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Why are using full face mask? Nasal masks more comfortable and less leaky

Mask fit guide
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like all 3 of us were replying at nearly the same time (me, Paula, Zonk)...

Oh well, at least you're getting a full range of thoughts! Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for the responses, to answer a few questions:

The sleep study was a joke, my doctor ordered it to be done at a local hospital here in NY and the insurance company promptly denied it and said to have an at home study.

I was sent what looked like a walkman from a company called Novasom with a few sensors and a set of instructions. The machine was supposed to monitor your nose, chest and finger(O2?) and then send the info back to the company.

After replacing sensors which didn't work, the machine's battery died after several hours. The company said several hours was enough to diagnose OSA and the insurance company agreed. They didn't want any more studies, they said that an APAP machine was the answer and would provide one.

I was then contacted by a DME who supplied the Resmed S9.They suggested the full face mask, I didn't know any different and the tech they sent out with the unit was clueless.

There were going to give me a bottom of the barrel unit, it was only because of this forum that I insisted on a unit that was data capable-thank Thanks

I'm not adverse to trying out anything and will certainly go out of pocket if needed to have a better system.

I've just downloaded the Resmed software, when I get home I'll try to download the SD card and see if I can post the results of the last few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Autoset is a good machine. You did good there!

Do you snore with your mouth open? Or breathe at night through your mouth vs nose? If not, then you don't need a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 AutoSet is an awesome machine. It shows better stats sleep report on the LCD screen than other machines.
Finding a comfortable mask that fits properly is the most important part of PAP therapy.
The S9 tells us whats the 95% percentile pressure (which is the pressure been AT and BELOW for 95% of the time and higher for 5% of the time) was for the night but we need the software to see how long it stayed at the pressure providing leak is under control bc the machine increase pressure to compensate for leaks. ResMed define accepted leak anything BELOW 24 L/min but preferable to be much lower
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dennism, you chose one of the best machines out there; I think you might look into a different type of mask, as the full-face masks are harder to get used to and from what others have said, much more proned to leak. Best of luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,415 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.