Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my pressure too high?
RE: Is my pressure too high?
Oops, I should have written extra high LEAK periods, not pressure periods. Sorry about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak periods must be quite short in duration. I say simply from the fact that your 95th percentile leak rate is way down at 1.2 and your AHI is almost below that 5 level. My thought is that the max. spiking high leak rate is not the machine responding to an apnea. Call it a wager.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also I'm curious as to how the machine works, low vs. high with the ramping, so say if it is set to 4 to 19 @ 45 minutes ramp time does it start out at 4 (cfm?) and after 45 minutes go up to 19 and stay there or does the pressure actually constantly fluctuate and go up and down depending on how hard you breath in or out?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it does not fluctuate based on breathing in or out. That's what the EPR and x-Flex is for. The pressure it maintains is based on the resistance it meets.

According to the clinician manual, a ramp in APAP mode starts below the set range then slowly increases to the lowest of the range. It then goes into APAP mode and finds the best pressure needed to keep your airway open. The starting pressure for the ramp is a number you can set and the lowest the ramp can be set for is 4. So if the minimum pressure is 8, then the ramp would start at 4 then slowly increase during that 45min time to 8. At that point, it then finds the setting needed for treatment.

In your case, I don't know how it ramps up since the ramp start and the start of the pressure range are the same.

This is one of the reasons having an autoPAP set wide open is not a good idea.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
"In your case, I don't know how it ramps up since the ramp start and the start of the pressure range are the same."

I'm not sure I understand, the machine is set to 4 low & 19 high.

Post Reply Post Reply
I need to see the separate CA and OA indexes. Based on what I've seen, though, I would concur with zonk and suggest you try lowering the pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The purpose of the ramp is to slowly introduce the user to the minimum treatment pressure.

The lowest a person with an S9 Autoset can set the RAMP to is 4.

Your machine's MINIMUM pressure is set at 4.

Since the ramp low and your machine's minimum low are the same, I don't know what it ramps up to.

(Personally, I'd not be able to breathe with a pressure that low. I don't bother with ramp anymore because I've gotten so used to my treatment pressure of 12, anything less feels smothering.)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 218 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.