Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is preasure too light?
Is preasure too light?
I have had my CPAP only 2 months, and am doing reasonably well. However, I wake up at 2-3 AM feeling that I am not getting enough air. Is it possible that my preasure needs to be increased slightly?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is preasure too light?
Hi Hawk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What machine do you have?
Do you have ramp turned on on your machine? If so, turn ramp off and see if that helps you. Ramp starts out at a very low pressure and gradually comes up to the titrated pressure over time and sometines ramp can make you feel like you aren't getting enough air.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. The ramp tme is only 10 minutes, so i've been at full preasure for several hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
if your waking up at the roughly the same time every night, are you sure there is not something else that could be waking you up, some kind of "bump in the night" if you will. I had the same thing happen a few months ago, turns out after waking up several nights at around 03:30 it turned out to be the trash company had changed their schedule, instead of picking up at 11:00, they for a few days were coming in the wee hours of the morning. they dont do it now....thank god
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having a similar issue and I think it might partly be due to the temperature of the air in the mask. If it is too warm I think it might be too hard for me to inhale naturally. I must say though, I am only on 8cm and I do find it tough at times to inhale no matter the temperature (feel like not getting enough air even though I know I am). I have heard a RT that was doing video reviews admit to the same thing, and that some masks make this feeling better or worse. He indicated with a PR nasal mask that at 9cm he found this to be a problem and bumped up his pressure to accommodate. For me 8cm is my prescribed pressure and anything less is simply not tolerable. Almost wish my rx pressure was a bit higher...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 10:32 AM)Hawk Wrote: I have had my CPAP only 2 months, and am doing reasonably well. However, I wake up at 2-3 AM feeling that I am not getting enough air. Is it possible that my preasure needs to be increased slightly?
For me, when my nose stuffy, does feel not getting enough air. Leak is the other thing I might look at or even mouth breathing, both can lead to loss of therapy air. If leak is not a problem, might be an idea to ask the doctor to set the machine on Auto, on auto-adjusting mode, the machine adjust pressure as needed throughout the night. Whats the AHI and leak? if you,re not using SleepyHead, might be a good idea to download http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software

Post Reply Post Reply
The question to ask is do you feel smothered or is it that you do not notice the air as much as when you first turned it on?

If it is the first, then look at how you have the exhalation pressure relief set up. I think that's the C-flex for your machine. It may need to be turned up or down, depending on how you feel. But to wake up after several hours sleep is odd. Like the others have said, find out what woke you up.

If it is the second, then congratulations! You've gotten adjusted to your machine. There's a lot of mornings I wake up and wonder if the power is out because I don't notice the air flow. I have to put my hand in front of the mask and feel it from the vent.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, an update. I paid close attention to my sleeping habits for several days, and realised that I was adjusting my nasal pillow constantly all night long. Thinking it was leaking and not getting the air in to my nostrills, when there was no leaking at all. I raised my ramp preasure from 4 to 5 and my CPAP preasure from 7 to 8. Now I sleep through the night with no interuptions, and am able to sleep later in the morning instead of waking at 4:30. IT IS WONDERFUL !!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,652 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,262 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 378 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Screen Light - how to turn off Hopingforachange 4 2,198 04-04-2023, 01:50 AM
Last Post: zellem
  Phillips system one red light tmoody 1 549 01-18-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: tmoody
  UV light cleaners - good or bad? djfro 10 1,518 10-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Frequent arousals/Light Sleep despite low AHI's (95% of which are CA;s) DleepyGuy 3 1,025 06-02-2022, 06:07 AM
Last Post: DleepyGuy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.