Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is "pressure relief" in my SleepyHead statistics the same as EPR/Flux?
RE: Is "pressure relief" in my SleepyHead statistics the same as EPR/Flux?
(12-30-2016, 01:52 PM)geekbearinggifts Wrote: ...This time my machine has a modem sending off all my results every day, so "they" (respiratory therapists at my DME provider) will also see the changes to my settings, potentially reporting them to my doctor and insurance company. ...

The modem and WIFI features may have a way to turn them off.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
For the most part, your supplier is monitoring compliance. Rarely are they concerned with settings. However, if you change to APAP mode and keep your pressure the same, the only difference is that you can use A-Flex which is a much nicer pressure relief algorithm. Since this actually falls within the meaning of a "comfort setting" I don't see how anyone could object.

My machine is available to be monitored as well, but I have never been contacted about setting changes I have made. We're not talking about wild dial winging here. A pressure range of 10-12, or 11-11 is all we're talking about, other than changing A-flex. If it feels better, that's all you need to justify it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 02:05 PM)Beej Wrote:
(12-30-2016, 01:52 PM)geekbearinggifts Wrote: ...This time my machine has a modem sending off all my results every day, so "they" (respiratory therapists at my DME provider) will also see the changes to my settings, potentially reporting them to my doctor and insurance company. ...

They do, but I want my compliance data available to my DME provider, doctor, and insurance company so I don't have to pay 100% of my equipment and supply costs. Bigwink

(12-30-2016, 02:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: For the most part, your supplier is monitoring compliance. Rarely are they concerned with settings. However, if you change to APAP mode and keep your pressure the same, the only difference is that you can use A-Flex which is a much nicer pressure relief algorithm. Since this actually falls within the meaning of a "comfort setting" I don't see how anyone could object.

My machine is available to be monitored as well, but I have never been contacted about setting changes I have made. We're not talking about wild dial winging here. A pressure range of 10-12, or 11-11 is all we're talking about, other than changing A-flex. If it feels better, that's all you need to justify it.

That seems quite reasonable to me! Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have an open relationship with your doctor, talk to him/her about switching to Apap mode, although there is nothing wrong with staying in cpap mode if your comfortable with that.

An advantage to apap mode, is that you can start with a slightly lower pressure. Sleeprider suggested a minimum of 10 and a max setting of 12. That makes sense as it is bracketed closely around your pressure of 11.

As far as insurance, they are looking at compliance, not settings.

Remember that EPR, which is what you used prior on a ResMed machine, is not the same as Flex on the DreamStation.
A setting of 3 Flex will not necessarily give you more exhale relief than a setting of 1. It is based on flow, or how hard you exhale. You might feel better using a setting of 2.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 02:15 PM)geekbearinggifts Wrote:
(12-30-2016, 02:05 PM)Beej Wrote: [quote='geekbearinggifts' pid='186340' dateline='1483123928']...This time my machine has a modem sending off all my results every day, so "they" (respiratory therapists at my DME provider) will also see the changes to my settings, potentially reporting them to my doctor and insurance company. ...

They do, but I want my compliance data available to my DME provider, doctor, and insurance company so I don't have to pay 100% of my equipment and supply costs. Bigwink

That's why you take the chip in for your visits. Its all right there on the chip.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 02:19 PM)OpalRose Wrote: If you have an open relationship with your doctor, talk to him/her about switching to Apap mode, although there is nothing wrong with staying in cpap mode if your comfortable with that.

An advantage to apap mode, is that you can start with a slightly lower pressure. Sleeprider suggested a minimum of 10 and a max setting of 12. That makes sense as it is bracketed closely around your pressure of 11.

As far as insurance, they are looking at compliance, not settings.

Remember that EPR, which is what you used prior on a ResMed machine, is not the same as Flex on the DreamStation.
A setting of 3 Flex will not necessarily give you more exhale relief than a setting of 1. It is based on flow, or how hard you exhale. You might feel better using a setting of 2.

Thanks again! I read elsewhere in the forum (and now can't find it) that the Flex setting actually determines how fast the transition is between the two pressures, and that 1 is fastest, and 3 slowest. I'm going to try setting Flex to 1 for a while and see if that makes a difference in how I feel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I don't know about fast or slow, but there is a slightly different feel between the Flex settings.

I do well on either Flex set at 1 or 2. Try 1 or 2 and see how you feel.

You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, which is flow based, regardless whether you use 1,2 or 3.
• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a noticeably easier time breathing out last night with the new settings, and saw a bigger difference in between the base pressure and EPAP on the graph. Yay! I don't think I have enough data to make any overall conclusions about efficacy and whether these will be the final settings, but I'm definitely more comfortable.
  • Mode: Auto
  • Opti-Start: off
  • EZ-Start: off
  • Auto-min pressure: 10
  • Auto-max pressure or: 12
  • CM-H2O pressure: N/A
  • SmartRamp: off
  • Ramp Time: 5 (ramp is enabled, but I'm not using it)
  • Ramp start: 8 (ramp is enabled, but I'm not using it)
  • Flex: A-flex
  • Flex Setting: 1
  • Tube type: 15
Post Reply Post Reply
Comfort is important. Keep these settings for a few days and see how it goes.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI is great, but I've continued to increase my pressure in the hope that I can reduce my VS2 episodes. Unfortunately, the number just keeps going up instead (52 last night!). I've read up on VS2 some in the threads, and realize that we don't actually know what VS2 is, so I don't know whether I should be concerned or not. Regardless of pressure level, or whether I was using fixed pressure or APAP, my apnea is very well controlled. Since I started using the new machine and checking results with SleepyHead about a month ago, I've seen various combinations, and three nights with an AHI of zero, but usually have only one or two CAs, OAs, and/or Hs a night with an occasional RERA and one instance of periodic breathing. Should I reduce my minimum pressure back to 10 or 11 cm H2O, where I only had a handful of VS2s a night and didn't have any AHI concerns, either?
  • Mode: Auto
  • Auto-min pressure: 12
  • Auto-max pressure: 20
  • Flex: A-flex
  • Flex Setting: 2
  • Tube type: 15
[Image: oUAUrQol.png]

[Image: SEJQc5ul.png]
SaveSave
SaveSave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Statistics page, changes to device settings area, FL always shows 0.00? DancesWithCats 1 327 01-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR Statistics Page SingingWolf 4 628 11-04-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
Question Change Statistics view default to Monthly instead of Standard? retro 4 593 10-06-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OXY DATA ON STATISTICS PAGE srlevine1 7 685 05-01-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Why does Oscar Display Pressure, EPAP IPAP on Dreamstation Bipap pressure Graph microvax 5 843 02-27-2023, 04:47 AM
Last Post: microvax
  Oscar CPAP Statistics - Therapy Efficacy Dataporter 2 763 02-26-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Dataporter
  Set CPAP to fixed pressure but OSCAR shows pressure decreasing all night... cpapnewbie18 2 749 01-12-2023, 04:58 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.