Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is sleep apnea temporary?
Is sleep apnea temporary?
Several people have asked me if I'll be able to get off the CPAP machine once my "Condition" clears up. Is that even possible? I've never heard of sleep apnea being a temporary thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is sleep apnea temporary?
Not that I know of. There are a few that claim weight loss cured them, but years later their apnea is worse.

It just proves that a lot of folk do not understand what sleep apnea is and how serious it is.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally it's for life. However, one may find that with weight loss one can stave off needing be on PAP.
IMHO, age will again bring back apnea as we lose muscle tone.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally, no.. Once you have it, it's yours indefinitely. Weight is a risk factor, but you can lose weight and still have it.

However, I will offer some of my own experience - I have lost 17 pounds since the beginning of the year by giving up alcohol and watching diet extremely closely (low carb - no bread, grains, potatoes, etc.). Since then, my AHI has improved and my machine has been using progressively less average pressure to treat my apnea. So, who knows what will happen when I reach my target weight. As I make progress on that goal, I will routinely check the degree of my untreated apnea with overnight oximetry tests without CPAP. If I ever find that I am consistently able to maintain healthy blood oxygen levels during the night without CPAP therapy, I may discontinue it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 06:15 PM)Possum Wrote: low carb - no bread, grains, potatoes, etc.

Possum: Same diet I'm on!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It is absolutely a temporary condition.
Once you completely stop breathing apnea is no longer a problem.
Clostraphobia on the other hand me become a concern in that form fitting box.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 05:35 PM)Protege Wrote: I've never heard of sleep apnea being a temporary thing.

Well life itself is temporary, at least on this particular planet. The less well you treat your apnea the more temporary your life will probably be.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Im new here but ive lost 20lbs and still have it.

I heard a lady in our sleep clinic say " i lost a lot of weight and it went away, but gained it back and here i am!!"

I havent heard anyone get cured from it, but i petsonally know many that have it and dont even know it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 06:56 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 06:15 PM)Possum Wrote: low carb - no bread, grains, potatoes, etc.

Possum: Same diet I'm on!
Good luck with dieting, but this old codger oldman cannot live without bread
Bread goes with everything, nice with cheese and some wine too

As for apnea, does not goes away but can be treated using CPAP (not any old CPAP, data capable CPAP) and if stop CPAP, apnea will come back

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 05:35 PM)Protege Wrote: Several people have asked me if I'll be able to get off the CPAP machine once my "Condition" clears up. Is that even possible? I've never heard of sleep apnea being a temporary thing.

I would think it depends on your age and how overweight a person is.

Before starting cpap
I also did the Low carb diet for about 2 years, gave up drinking and was exercising daily. I weighed 228 lbs at my max. I went to my so called ideal weight of 172 in 5 weeks. I lost 2.5 inches in my neck and completely quit snoring. I don't know if my apnea had went away because it was untreated at the time. I do remember when I went to sleep at night, I didn't wake one time 99% of the time and woke up feeling really rested. I asked my wife if I was stopping breathing back then but she said she couldn't remember. I only stayed at that weight for about a year.
I think back now and remember it being one of the best times in my adult life.
I am trying to get back there now, but I am 6 years older and it seems to be much harder to lose any weight. I was hoping for the magic weight loss that is supposed to come with Cpap therapy but am still waiting after almost 3 months.
My guess is if you are really overweight, drink, smoke, and are inactive, Do a 180 degree turn with your life, then you have a shot at getting off cpap.
But for the guy that's got 20lbs to lose, I think you are married to you hose for life, and maybe I will be also, but I am sure going to try. At least I am hoping for a lesser more comfortable pressure.

Sorry for the long post.
Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.