Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is sleep apnea temporary?
RE: Is sleep apnea temporary?
I was just asking a question!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea can be temporary for some people. For most of us though, it's a permanent thing. Some people lose weight and get off Cpap. Some have apnea due to medications or other drug use and the problem goes away when their meds change or drug use is eliminated. Some eliminate apnea just by getting another health issue under control. I know my Dad had apnea and his apnea stopped after he had a heart attack. Overnight. Of course, from then on, he had a host of OTHER problems, but no apnea or snoring.

My problem is less about sleep apnea (I barely qualified for a machine) and more about the fact that I have a low heart rate (which may be the cause) and cpap helps that. As the doctor said, right now, the best they can get me is 91% and if I fall below 89% I will be getting a pacemaker and then maybe not need a cpap (I'm not counting on that). I didn't actually have significant problems until after I lost 30 pounds, and they are pretty confident the heart issue predated that, so of course, losing weight can cause flab that causes apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 09:01 PM)bwexler Wrote: It is absolutely a temporary condition.
Once you completely stop breathing apnea is no longer a problem.
Clostraphobia on the other hand me become a concern in that form fitting box.

You don't have to be nasty about it. Geez.

Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't notice anyone getting nasty. Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 11:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I didn't notice anyone getting nasty. Dont-know

I agree with you.
Someone asked a question, and the good people on this board took the time to answer as best they could.
The people on this board care about others starting Cpap , and spend a lot of time answering questions.
Sometimes the answer might seem a little harsh, but I think they are trying to drill it in our (newbe heads) of just how important that getting treatment is.
I fought it at first, but you finally got through to me.
I thank all of you for that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 12:00 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 11:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I didn't notice anyone getting nasty. Dont-know

I agree with you.
Someone asked a question, and the good people on this board took the time to answer as best they could.
The people on this board care about others starting Cpap , and spend a lot of time answering questions.
Sometimes the answer might seem a little harsh, but I think they are trying to drill it in our (newbe heads) of just how important that getting treatment is.
I fought it at first, but you finally got through to me.
I thank all of you for that.

Agree, we try, and sometimes it seems like "tough love" so to speak.

The only thing that got through to me when I was considering whether I would use Cpap or not was my Doctors statement that it was my choice, but he didn't think I'd be around in five years.
Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 10:24 AM)Protege Wrote: I was just asking a question!

That was your fist mistake...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that weight loss is tougher for me with cpap because, as another member wrote a little while back, food looks better, smells better, and tastes better. In addition to low carbing, portion control and moderate exercise can help with weight control and perhaps weight loss. While losing weight would help my OSA I like the security of having it and I doubt I'll ever leave it. Once one understands that CPAP protects against attacks to the heart and therefore may prolong your life there doesn't seem to be a legitimate argument for leaving it unless you are struggling with it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it ever goes away once you have it, but personally I have seen an improvement in my AHI with weight loss. I have seen my AHI reduce from anywhere from 9-12 to consistently around 4 to 5 (still have the occasional 6 or 7) while losing 30 lbs. The toughest part is maintaining the weight loss as we get older and that's usually when the higher numbers return.
Post Reply Post Reply
ZZZ

OMMOHYH
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 124 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.