Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is sleep apnea temporary?
RE: Is sleep apnea temporary?
Someone stole my joke so I'll just nod and agree with what others have already said. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 09:01 PM)bwexler Wrote: It is absolutely a temporary condition.
Once you completely stop breathing apnea is no longer a problem.
Clostraphobia on the other hand me become a concern in that form fitting box.

I love the sense of humor on this site...a good laugh is refreshing.

On the serious side, weight is not the only issue with sleep apnea. There are pencil thin folks who have it too, because of the size of their oropharynx. The size of the opening at the back of the throat is rated from one to five, five being the smallest. Smaller opening, more chance of tongue falling back and blocking the airway when supine. (obstructive apnea) In other people, issues related to abnormally low carbon dioxide level in the blood can impede the brain signals to "breathe now" . (central apnea).

So just because you lose weight does not mean your apnea will be gone.

I hope than answers your serious question. But don't forget to laugh with the folks on this forum when ever you can...it's good for the body AND the soul!
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a reminder folks: Be nice to each other.

If someone's response brings up negative emotion in you, push away from the keyboard and come back to it later. Or not at all.

If someone says your response brought up negative emotion in them, push away from the keyboard and come back to it later. Or, again, not at all.

In other words, cool off first. Sometimes the best, most accurate reply is to not reply at all.

And if the sniping continues, a moderator will close this thread.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 10:24 AM)Protege Wrote: I was just asking a question!

And it's a perfectly good question to ask. I'm sorry if some of the responses indicated it's not.

Regular use of a CPAP machine will not, in and of itself, do anything to alter your condition. As soon as you stop using it your airway will collapse when you fall asleep. So the CPAP machine is not a cure. It's a therapy.

On the other hand, a common problem with untreated sleep apnea is that the lack of sleep leaves you short on energy, and food is often used in an attempt to provide the needed energy. This leads to weight gain, which makes the apnea worse, and so goes a vicious cycle of weight gain and worsening sleep apnea. Also, as we age we tend to lose muscle tension, and that too can make sleep apnea worse. And it can cause mental health issues that are often treated with sedatives, and they too make the apnea worse.

So, if weight gain is the cause of the sleep apnea, then weight loss may reverse the condition. A CPAP machine can be used to help you lose weight.

But untreated sleep apnea, in addition to leaving you sleep deprived, also increases the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 09:01 PM)bwexler Wrote: It is absolutely a temporary condition.
Once you completely stop breathing apnea is no longer a problem.
Clostraphobia on the other hand me become a concern in that form fitting box.

your post actually made me chuckle Smile

very funny.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 08:00 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 10:24 AM)Protege Wrote: I was just asking a question!

And it's a perfectly good question to ask. I'm sorry if some of the responses indicated it's not.

Regular use of a CPAP machine will not, in and of itself, do anything to alter your condition. As soon as you stop using it your airway will collapse when you fall asleep. So the CPAP machine is not a cure. It's a therapy.

On the other hand, a common problem with untreated sleep apnea is that the lack of sleep leaves you short on energy, and food is often used in an attempt to provide the needed energy. This leads to weight gain, which makes the apnea worse, and so goes a vicious cycle of weight gain and worsening sleep apnea. Also, as we age we tend to lose muscle tension, and that too can make sleep apnea worse. And it can cause mental health issues that are often treated with sedatives, and they too make the apnea worse.

So, if weight gain is the cause of the sleep apnea, then weight loss may reverse the condition. A CPAP machine can be used to help you lose weight.

But untreated sleep apnea, in addition to leaving you sleep deprived, also increases the risk of heart attack or stroke.

Well, I am losing weight, but I wish it was under better circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
That doesn't sound good. Sad
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 10:04 PM)Protege Wrote: Well, I am losing weight, but I wish it was under better circumstances.

I can't imagine what those better circumstances might be. Prior to the development of CPAP therapy our parents, grandparents, and so on had to live with untreated sleep apnea. We are fortunate to live in an era where this therapy is available to us.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 07:22 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 10:04 PM)Protege Wrote: Well, I am losing weight, but I wish it was under better circumstances.

I can't imagine what those better circumstances might be. Prior to the development of CPAP therapy our parents, grandparents, and so on had to live with untreated sleep apnea. We are fortunate to live in an era where this therapy is available to us.

Well, I've lost 17 pounds since this started; it could be that I'm exercising almost every day, and all but completely cutting out snacking, but I think my heart palpitations might have something to do with it as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 360 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 134 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 584 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.