Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is sleeping in the same position all night OK?
Is sleeping in the same position all night OK?
I have been on CPAP for about 8 months now with what I think are good results.  I have no data or number to back that up... the only evidence I have is slowly letting myself get used to decent sleep:  no yawning during the day, able to get though the day, eating better, lost 15 pounds.  My only slight side effect might be vertigo of which I am prone.

I have been sleeping so much better.  I can tell that I am because of two noticeable aspects:  I am dreaming more than ever.  And i am waking up in the same position the next morning thinking that I literally have not moved during the night.

Is movement or minimal body re positioning during need normal but moreover is it necessary? 

Even with good sleeping via CPAP should I be rolling over or somewhat changing positions?  I used to wake up with a sore neck from the deep sleep but have since purchased a new pillow and am able to get an initial comfortable potion as soon as I retire.  I feel as if I am waking up in that exact same positron (or close to it) the next morning. 

Is sleeping in one position throughout the night OK?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is sleeping in the same position all night OK...?
I wish I could sleep in the same position. Side sleeping is much better than sleeping on your back  as the airway is usually less restricted. I often roll on my back and can see an increase in flow limitation in my data.

Good to hear you feel better since stating CPAP. You mention not having data. I recommend you download and use SleepyHead software. https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

It is free and will help you see how your therapy is doing. By posting data in the forum you can get help with optimizing your therapy. See the links below for the how to.

It has been a great benefit to me.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
SL Ping Beauty,

In his book Sound Sleep, Sound Mind, Barry Krakow M.D. indicates that sleep without any tossing and turning is one of the indicators  of good sleep. When I was younger, the thinking was that one should change position during one's sleep. This meant that one was sleeping well. I agree with Dr. Krakow. I had about a two week period early in my CPAP adventures where I woke up in the morning feeling extremely energized and feeling somewhat like I was 20 years old again. During the time when that was happening, I woke up in the morning in the same position I was in just prior to falling asleep. I felt like I had not moved all night. Can't say for sure that I hadn't but it felt that way.

In answer to your question, I think sleeping in the same position all night long is a good thing. Contrary to thought 50 years ago, re-positioning during the night is not a necessary indicator of good sleep. Some movement during sleep can be caused by pain in one's body or discomfort due to sleeping arrangements or environment but it is not necessary for good sleep.

It sounds to me like your results are great. Congratulations and keep up the good sleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You are a lucky person. The body moves during sleep to reduce discomfort or react to dreams. I was able to sleep all night long ago.
Be happy with your sleep Okay

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 402 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.