Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is something wrong with my S9 Autoset?
Is something wrong with my S9 Autoset?
S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with H5i™ Heated Humidifier for Her

I have been using my S9 Autoset for 4 weeks and I am not having much success. I have never gotten past 1:30am before I get up to use the bathroom and shut the whole thing off. I'm told it should be silent; this machine is definitely not silent. It sounds like Darth Vader's breathing apparatus.

Now the past two nights I've had a strange occurrence. I woke up at 10:30 both nights with a hurricane blasting through the tube and the machine sounds like a wind tunnel. It's so strong there's a stream of air coming out the little screen on my nasal pillow (Airfit P10 for her nasal pillow) and I'm literally having to bear down just to exhale. It's pushing air so forcefully I'm swallowing it and have the sensation I need to burp. Is this just because it sensed me having an apnea occurrence? Last night I tried to suffer through it and then the machine almost seemed to power down to where I could barely breathe in. My pressure settings are 4cm-20cm.

I'm seriously frustrated and tempted to chuck the whole thing, but I paid for all my equipment out of pocket. Does this sound normal? Is it just me, or does this sound odd? I hope there is a S9 user (or other) out there who can shed some light.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is something wrong with my S9 Autoset?
Your machine is apparently set to default pressures of 4-20 cm.  It seems we may need to put some limits on that and set this so it works for your.  If you have any means to download and install the free #Sleepyhead software on a laptop or computer, it would be a big help. 

It is not normal for these machines to make mechanical noise, although you may hear a quiet sound of air moving through the vent.  The machine may be defective, or you may not have the humidifier or water chamber properly connected or tightly connected.  If you are hearing the machine moaning, and it is coming from the fan, that may require repair or replacement.  How did you come to own a S9 for her  Autoset?  Was it purchased from a durable medical supplier recently?

User name is great fun. LOL
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my equipment from [link removed] [#Supplier #1] about a month ago. I will double check that it is connected properly. Also I will download the software and see if I can upload my data. 

I am also using a Dr. Popper's baseball cap/velcro homemade chin strap which is making my nights less comfortable. Maybe a strip of micropore tape will work better.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd like to help you dial in the machine. I'm sure you will benefit from both a higher starting pressure, and lower maximum pressure. Even if you can't download the software right away, you can look at your therapy information on the machine therapy information screen. Knowing information about your AHI and the average and 90% pressure on a 1-day and 7-day average can get us moving.

Be sure to get the setup manual if you didn't get it from Supplier #1 (we aren't allow to name them with the .com suffix), you can get a free clinical setup manual from Apneaboard. Just follow the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of the page. If the noise is a machine defect the supplier will replace it under warranty. They are a good company.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used an S9 for about 4 years and now have an Autoset 10.

The S9 is usually pretty quiet.

it sounds like there is a leak and the machine is trying to compensate by going to hurricane force. I’ve seen this (and the noise) when the humidifier lid is not latched completely or there is a hose connection leaking.

good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoever told you the machines are silent was exaggerating.  They are quieter than a room fan, but certainly not silent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grannyganja,
, Just a thought, make sure the lid is closed down on your humidifier. Otherwise if it isn’t, your machine will be noisy. Sometimes, the gasket in the humidifier lid will give you a little resistance when you close it, just push firmly and that should take care of it.
Good luck to you, and you came to the right place for guidance on dialing in those pressures.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 543 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,465 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 324 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 472 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 580 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is there something obviously wrong with my CPAP use? [pull off mask while asleep] Cpapaya 4 675 08-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.