sleepybeaver Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: A 10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10
Humidifier: built-in , with climate line
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: I'm not really a prist...and my wife is not a nun....Halloween Costumes

Sex: Male

RE: Is the DME lying?
(06-03-2015 09:39 PM)scoobiedu Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 09:34 PM)sleepybeaver Wrote:  I was told by my DME that they are no longer making the S9...because I was going to change from the A10 to the S9...I wounder if that was B.S. I'm dealing with Apria....and they are a nightmare.

What didn't you like about the A10?

First I had problems with the pressure not dropping back down after clearing events...then the humitiy problems too dry or too wet....then I thought it was too loud...the darth vader sound with breathing. So they told me they would switch it to the s9 autoset...then they told me they can't get one because resmed no longer makes them...so they switched the a10 autoset with another new one thinking that the first one was defective. . .they did get me the climate line....so I will be trying it out tonight for the first time.

It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 10:17 PM by sleepybeaver.)
06-04-2015 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(06-04-2015 03:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  The Resmed AirSense machines that are "bricks" are the Escape CPAP and Escape Auto. The Autoset is great, and $550 is an amazing price for the machine and masks. I don't know how it can be sold for that.

The Escape and Escape Auto are ResMed S9 machines, not AirSense 10 models.

The base AirSense 10 "CPAP" model has less data than the AirSense 10 "Elite" model. I consider the A10 Elite to be the lowest acceptable model.

The A10 "CPAP" model is not quite a brick. It does record nightly AHI averages and some other info, but the A10 Elite is much better. The S9 Escape Auto also records limited data.

The A10 "CPAP" is a confusing name. It's labeled "AirSense 10 CPAP." The others are labeled AirSense 10 Elite, AutoSet or AutoSet for Her.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
06-05-2015 03:15 AM
ClarkK Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Pro
Humidifier: Philips
CPAP Pressure: 9.5 - 15 ... for now
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Loving my CPAP since day one in January 2015

Sex: Male

Just in regard to DME's in general, I did feel like they helped me when I first got started. The RT who set me up let me know that there were software options for people who are interested in tracking their own therapy. When I needed a pressure change as I was started at an uncomfortable range of 5-20, another RT connected to the DME talked to me about my settings and helped get the doctor to change my range to 8-20 (although he pushed for a fixed setting before we arrived at that range).

In regards to equipment -- the DME pretty much made the initial decisions for me. I'm just fortunate they were good ones, as I did get a fully data capable APAP, and even after trying a few others, I'm most comfortable with the Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow mask (although I still play with a P10 at times—wish I could combine my favorite features of the two).

My biggest complaint is how they have handled supplies. No offers to update supplies at all during the first 90 days. I ended up going to online sources for what I needed during that time—knowing with my deductible, the payment would come out of my pocket anyway. When the DME did call about supplies (and when they started, the calls/messages were relentlessly frequent), they wanted to "send me everything I would need" without options. Even the so called 'online ordering' options were by category rather than allowing me to make my own selections—which I guess would be great for someone who would be overwhelmed by all the choices, but I'm not that person. They also didn't give me a receipt or any cost information—as I guess that waits until after they send it through insurance. I'm very curious what I will end up paying for the few things I ordered as I want to do a comparison to my online sources.

Ultimately, I feel the whole process (in the US anyway) is WAY to directed by insurance company process and not patient focused processes. And considering in my opinion insurance companies are more financial companies than health care facilitators, I find the whole flawed system very disturbing.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
06-09-2015 08:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
scoobiedu Offline

Members

Machine: AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: same brand that came with machine
CPAP Pressure: 7-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(06-09-2015 08:43 AM)ClarkK Wrote:  Just in regard to DME's in general, I did feel like they helped me when I first got started. The RT who set me up let me know that there were software options for people who are interested in tracking their own therapy. When I needed a pressure change as I was started at an uncomfortable range of 5-20, another RT connected to the DME talked to me about my settings and helped get the doctor to change my range to 8-20 (although he pushed for a fixed setting before we arrived at that range).

In regards to equipment -- the DME pretty much made the initial decisions for me. I'm just fortunate they were good ones, as I did get a fully data capable APAP, and even after trying a few others, I'm most comfortable with the Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow mask (although I still play with a P10 at times—wish I could combine my favorite features of the two).

My biggest complaint is how they have handled supplies. No offers to update supplies at all during the first 90 days. I ended up going to online sources for what I needed during that time—knowing with my deductible, the payment would come out of my pocket anyway. When the DME did call about supplies (and when they started, the calls/messages were relentlessly frequent), they wanted to "send me everything I would need" without options. Even the so called 'online ordering' options were by category rather than allowing me to make my own selections—which I guess would be great for someone who would be overwhelmed by all the choices, but I'm not that person. They also didn't give me a receipt or any cost information—as I guess that waits until after they send it through insurance. I'm very curious what I will end up paying for the few things I ordered as I want to do a comparison to my online sources.

Ultimately, I feel the whole process (in the US anyway) is WAY to directed by insurance company process and not patient focused processes. And considering in my opinion insurance companies are more financial companies than health care facilitators, I find the whole flawed system very disturbing.

I'm glad you had a good experience with your DME, it's too bad they dropped the ball with your supplies. It's great to see others taking charge of their own therapy. If we left it up to the DME and sometimes the doc, we would be missing out on so much. Thanks for sharing
06-09-2015 09:02 AM