Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Higher pressure causing air swallowing and then intestinal discomfort and diarrhea
Higher pressure causing air swallowing and then intestinal discomfort and diarrhea
Sorry for the long subject line. I am using a Dream Station with heated humidifier, and an Amara View full face mask. I was started on 6 cm up to 20 variable, but wasn't doing well with that setting, so the doc changed my setting to 8 fixed, and added home oxygen to use with my CPAP. Right away I started swallowing a lot of air at that setting, and that caused me to have a lot of intestinal discomfort, and then diarrhea. I used the search engine to see if there was anything I could do to fix the problem. My research did show this to be a common problem at higher pressure settings. Although there is no way for me to stop swallowing air, my research led me to parsley, which was said to help with gas, intestinal discomfort, and diarrhea. Both dried and fresh were said to work, and I had a lot of dried parsley in my pantry, so I gave it a try and started adding a good bit of it to every meal. Although it didn't totally eliminate the problem, it brought it down to a manageable level, and relieved the pain part as well. I was surprised and thrilled at how well it worked for me.

If any of you are suffering from such problems from higher pressure settings of your CPAP/BPAP systems, give parsley a try. It's non-toxic, cheap, easy to keep on hand in the dry form, and can be added to all sorts of food without messing with the flavor of the dish, as it doesn't have much flavor of it's own. It also doesn't need a prescription, and shouldn't conflict with any meds you may be on. It's also easy to add to foods, as you can just shake dried parsley on anything you want.  Cool  like  Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher pressure causing air swallowing and then intestinal discomfort and diarrhea
You really need to take control of your therapy with knowledge of your apnea event rate (AHI) and that probably means using some software like #Sleepyhead. A CPAP pressure of 8 is not particularly high, but we have had members with similar problems that were able to reduce pressures to 6 or less and still get very good results (low apnea) and relieve their discomfort. If we know you are able to monitor your therapy efficacy, then suggesting you try lower pressure makes sense.

Interesting that you found parsley helped with your problem. It is pretty common for sufferers of aerophagia to adapt to CPAP with time, and for that problem to diminish on its own. Not that I am skeptical of parsley as an aide for aerophagia (I am), but some of your relief may also be adaptation as we have seen with many other members.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,428 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 422 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.