Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is the F&P Simplus a FFM version of the nasal Eson2?
Is the F&P Simplus a FFM version of the nasal Eson2?
I am looking for a FFM since allergy season is around the corner. I am quite comfortable with several nasal masks like the F&P Eson2 and Wisp. The Eson2 has limited use since I can get claustrophobic/anxiety at times...it's my usual go to mask since I like it's flex type cushion. I rotate it with the Wisp until nose bridge pressure sore/red mark becomes problematic (with the Wisp). This would be bought on my own money (blind purchase...no more trials allowed) since its 4.5 months away for my next insurance mask replacement (every 6 months). Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is the F&P Simplus a FFM version of the nasal Eson2?
The Resmed Airfit F20 has gotten many good reviews and is by far the best full face mask i have used. Very comfortable, durable (I've been using the same mask and cushion for a year), and great with respect to leaks.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Simplus and like it very much.

Have you looked at the videos of the Simplus? That may be the best way to decide whether it is similar enough to the Eson 2 to suit your needs.

Personally, I have difficulty thinking of them as different versions of the same mask. They seem like two entirely different masks to me, although that is only based on pictures. The thing I like the most about the Simplus is the accordian-like design of the upper part of the cushion (the part that sits on the bridge of your nose). It eliminates any feeling of pressure against my nose.

I don't know how you'll feel in the Simplus as far as claustrophobia goes. I've not had that issue.

Have you considered the ResMed P10? I'm wondering why allergy season would have you going to a FFM. It's very popular (I also use it), but I've not been through allergy season with xPAP yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 10:27 PM)Melman Wrote: The Resmed Airfit F20 has gotten many good reviews and is by far the best full face mask i have used. Very comfortable, durable (I've been using the same mask and cushion for a year), and great with respect to leaks.

I haven't had good luck with Resmed masks to date...0 for 2 during my CPAP mask trials. P10 caused  pressure sores under each pillow. N20 didn't pass the static fit test.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 10:34 PM)kiwii Wrote: I use the Simplus and like it very much.

Have you looked at the videos of the Simplus? That may be the best way to decide whether it is similar enough to the Eson 2 to suit your needs.

Personally, I have difficulty thinking of them as different versions of the same mask. They seem like two entirely different masks to me, although that is only based on pictures. The thing I like the most about the Simplus is the accordian-like design of the upper part of the cushion (the part that sits on the bridge of your nose). It eliminates any feeling of pressure against my nose.

I don't know how you'll feel in the Simplus as far as claustrophobia goes. I've not had that issue.

Have you considered the ResMed P10? I'm wondering why allergy season would have you going to a FFM. It's very popular (I also use it), but I've not been through allergy season with xPAP yet.

The Eson2 has a similar accordian type cushion over the nose bridge area. Yes I have seen a few YouTube videos about the Simplus. Regarding the headgear on Simplus, it looks to be quite similar to the Eson2....Hoping that someone here can verify this for me. ☺

Allergies make it hard for me to breathe through my nose....hence I think that I may need a FFM. This allergy season will be my first with a CPAP mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I see. It will be my first too. When I cannot breath through my nose, I use a dab of eucalyptus balm and it opens it right up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 and have addressed the irritation of the nose factor with a daily application of 1% hydrocotizone cream. Seems to help. I also have ongoing nasal congestion issues, but have been pleasantly surprised with how a nasal pillow mask works. I think it does an ongoing air purge of the nasal passages and is self maintaining once you get it on and you are breathing freely. I do one squirt of Otrivin in each nostril before bedtime so I get started with clear passages and they stay that way all night. 

My remaining problem is that I let air out of my mouth and it initiates major leaks and all kinds of problems. So I have resorted to using paper medical tape over my mouth. Sounds scary, but it works surprisingly well. Still no nasal congestion issues. Not sure it is a long term solution though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2018, 08:31 AM)Ron AKA Wrote: I use the P10 and have addressed the irritation of the nose factor with a daily application of 1% hydrocotizone cream...
Um. There are restrictions for hydrocortisone, one of them being that it should not get inside of the nose and should not be used for longer than prescribed (it's not intended for longterm use). It shouldn't even be used on the face, underarm, or groin area without being told to do so by a doctor. So do your homework, DaveY, before deciding to use it.

A product like Ayr Saline Gel is effective for irritation inside of your nose (outside too), and that is what I use. It has always worked quickly -- I use it in the morning and problem solved. This was recommended to me by the sleep technician I purchased my machine from.

Many people swear by Lansinoh, which is a lanolin cream used by nursing mothers (cheaper if you just buy plain old lanolin). I have no personal experience with this remedy, but it is very popular.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2018, 01:12 PM)kiwii Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 08:31 AM)Ron AKA Wrote: I use the P10 and have addressed the irritation of the nose factor with a daily application of 1% hydrocotizone cream...
Um. There are restrictions for hydrocortisone, one of them being that it should not get inside of the nose and should not be used for longer than prescribed (it's not intended for longterm use). It shouldn't even be used on the face, underarm, or groin area without being told to do so by a doctor. So do your homework, DaveY, before deciding to use it.

I use the 1% over the counter version. There are stronger ones. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist. I got too much sun as a kid and now suffer from a skin condition called actinic keratosis (AK) which I treat from time to time with a cream called Efudex. It is a topical chemotherapy drug and while effective it has some very nasty reactions during the 6 week or so treatment phase. It is brutal, and the reactions are brutal. The doctor told me to use the over the counter version for some pain relief, and it helped some. That is why I have it on hand. The irritation to my nose from the P10 is mostly external and I suspect temporary. In comparison to the AK treatment it is mosquito bite like in severity. Have a look at this link if you want to see what an Efudex treatment looks like. Probably the best bet is to talk to the pharmacist about where and how long it can be used. 

Efudex Treatment Effects
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using nasal pillows for over five years exclusively until yesterday. I have both allergies and colds during the summer and fall months and frequently get stopped up. The nasal pillows work so well at cutting through that congestion that I have even used my CPAP while awake just because it’s easier to breathe.

The problem I have with the P10 system by ResMed is that the headgear is one size fits most and the largest pillows are too small for me. The headgear is too tight no matter how I adjust it and pulls the too small pillows up inside my nose causing major irritation and leaks.

To try to resolve this my RT switched me to a FFM with my doctor’s permission (he had to write a new prescription for me) and I am going to try it for a little while and see if I can alleviate both the irritation and mask leakage.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  eson2 mask and heat tubing kerm007 2 403 10-07-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kerm007
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,396 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 548 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,483 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.