Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there CPAP machine that has a child lock on it.
RE: Is there CPAP machine that has a child lock on it.
(06-02-2014, 04:50 AM)DeeNJai Wrote: On one of my Facebook page there are two sets of parents having problems with their children switching their machines off.

Are they trying to wake their parents up? There are more effective ways of doing that!

Regardless, I agree that it's a parenting issue. I know of no way to disable the off button.

Let's just say that there a variety of parenting styles, and if parents can't get their children to follow some basic rules of behavior, that should tell them something about their parenting style.

My 4 yo grandson gets his way by screeching. When he's with me and his parents aren't around he understands that screeching is not allowed, and so he doesn't do it. Go figure!

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 08:31 AM)jaycee Wrote: Told my granddaughter that if she touched my CPAP machine she was going to get the back of her hand slapped. Being the smartass she is she reached out and just touched it. I slapped the back of her hand (to a look of total astonishment on her face). Her little sister was watching.

Neither has touched my machine again.
"Smartstart" or "auto on" will at least get the machine to come right back on in case it was turned off.
There's not enough discipline in the world and I commend you for your forthright, no nonsense approach. More kids need to understand boundaries.

My 15yo recently quoted something to me from a Facebook page, something along the lines of "As a child my parents used capital punishment to discipline me, it left long term effects on me that I will never forget. Respect for other people and their property."
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2014, 08:43 PM)archangle Wrote: Unfortunately, the autostart function may not work if you use a full face mask.

autostart works fine with both s9 and prs1 units and ffm.

though the prs1 are very slow to respond compared to the s9 units.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the feeling it was kids on CPAPs playing with their machines, not kids playing with their parents' machines.

If it is the first, kids using medical equipment are going to fool around with it. It's what they do. Putting it in a container is going a good way to keep the little snotlettes out of it. That and teaching them what everything is for and what it does. Not using baby names for it, but telling them up front. Use a nickname after that but honesty is the best policy here.

If it is the second, then it is the fault of the parents. And yes.

Quote:"As a child my parents used capital punishment to discipline me, it left long term effects on me that I will never forget. Respect for other people and their property."

"No, Johnny, don't touch Mommy's expensive machine." followed by the third "If you touch that one more time...", and the parents get what they deserve. They raised that hellion, now fix it before it grows worse. If I'd gone into my parents' bedroom and, say, turned off my dad's fan? I don't know what would have happened because I wasn't that stupid, rude, and disrespectful.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 07:11 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I got the feeling it was kids on CPAPs playing with their machines, not kids playing with their parents' machines.

If it is the first, kids using medical equipment are going to fool around with it. It's what they do. Putting it in a container is going a good way to keep the little snotlettes out of it. That and teaching them what everything is for and what it does. Not using baby names for it, but telling them up front. Use a nickname after that but honesty is the best policy here.

Yes...... "Sugar sweetie plum, here's the nice new machine mommy was telling you about. Now we put the mask on then we must be very very quiet. Because Mr. Machine is asleep and if he wakes up he will suck your brains out and puke them on the floor. Sleep tight sugar sweetie plum....."
Post Reply Post Reply
Am I reading this wrong, or is this not about children turning their own machines off?

Either way, a discipline issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kids with medical issues want to control anything they can because they feel a lack of control. So an on/off button is an easy target.

Quote:Yes...... "Sugar sweetie plum, here's the nice new machine mommy was telling you about. Now we put the mask on then we must be very very quiet. Because Mr. Machine is asleep and if he wakes up he will suck your brains out and puke them on the floor. Sleep tight sugar sweetie plum....."

This is exactly why God and I decided I'd be better with dogs than with kids. 'Cause I would so do this. Not on purpose to torture them (even I'm not that crazy), but later as the kid understood it all and we joked about it. Then the kid would go to school and do show-and-tell about his/her brain sucking machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 05:08 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(06-04-2014, 08:43 PM)archangle Wrote: Unfortunately, the autostart function may not work if you use a full face mask.

autostart works fine with both s9 and prs1 units and ffm.

though the prs1 are very slow to respond compared to the s9 units.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Older ResMed S9 units actually locked out the autostart option if you selected FFM as the mask type. Later firmware revisions removed this restriction. It seems that the later the software, the better autostart vs. FFM has gotten. Some mask/machine/firmware version combinations almost always fail to start with FFM, some are a little better, and some are pretty reliable.

I have a unit that won't start with FFM unless I make a deliberate effort to sort of huff and puff into it. Many others have had similar problems.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2014, 11:31 PM)archangle Wrote: Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Older ResMed S9 units actually locked out the autostart option if you selected FFM as the mask type. Later firmware revisions removed this restriction. It seems that the later the software, the better autostart vs. FFM has gotten. Some mask/machine/firmware version combinations almost always fail to start with FFM, some are a little better, and some are pretty reliable.

I have a unit that won't start with FFM unless I make a deliberate effort to sort of huff and puff into it. Many others have had similar problems.

I'll have to take your word for it, I only have experience with my 2011 S9 elite (worked great) and S9 2013 vpap auto, (also works great) and a pr M series (worked, but slow to respond) and a prs1 560p (also works, but slow to respond).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 364 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,285 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.