Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a correlation between pressure and AHI?
Is there a correlation between pressure and AHI?
I'm a bit concerned and I would like to hear if there's a correlation between pressure and AHI.

When I got my CPAP machine my doctor in Illinois set my pressure to be 13 - 17.  When I was in for my checkup 2 weeks ago my doctor here in Florida said that my pressure was close to my high point of 17.  He also said that in his practice they set a wider range and ordered my DME to change the pressure to 8 - 20.  Prior to the change my average AHI for any given timeframe was no more than 3.5 with 4.0 being about as high an AHI that I've ever had.  Since the change my last two nights have been 4.6 and 6.9 so I'm concerned that this change, at least on the low end was a mistake and that I'm going to start exceeding the magic number of 5.0 on a regular basis.  What are your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a correlation between pressure and AHI?
For fudge sake. Change your pressure back. Wide open (8-20) is silly for someone who is already using CPAP.

If you started with 13-17 and your AHI has been fine, put it back to that. If you have been hitting 17 a lot, then set the max to 18 and wait.

Do you have Sleepyhead or other software to use?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Paula. Go back to the pressure settings that gave the best results. The machine uses pressure to prevent events. Some of us need more and a different range than others. If you get free SleepyHead software (See the link at the top of the page) and post some data as described in the links below we will be able to help you optimize your pressure settings.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I generally shoot for the median for the minimum pressure, but with the Resmed machines, it is responsive enough to stop apnea anyway. It will still be more effective if the minimum is closer to what your need. Your doctor's decrease to 8.0 doesn't make much sense to me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I use the RESMED software and in 4 days my average AHI went from 3.3 to 5.0. I sent my result to my DME who agreed that the minimal setting needed to go back up from 8 to 13 so I made the change myself and he's letting the doc know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer keeping the minimum pressure close to where your needs are so I would set the min to 13 and max to 20. Post the resulting data and then we can see about fine tuning. You likely would benefit from setting the min to 14 or 15 but get solid data first.
Setting the min pressure "close enough" to where the need is very important to minimizing AHI.
Prevent the obstructions instead of chasing after them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,031 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 990 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,826 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 669 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  Correlation between pressures and AHI Bluesv6 2 480 03-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,591 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Correlation to Keto- AHI has skyrocketed robtheironguy 56 4,228 03-24-2022, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.