Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea)
RE: New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea)
True, I forgot to mention consistently inconsistent attribute that's in Centrals. CPAP and BPAP that's not an ASV just isn't going to work here. Dr. McQuack and test tech Blind Squirrel struck again.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess this is where things get difficult, doctor wrote me and order for a standard cpap machine (awaiting a written copy in the mail, but the doctors office and the dme company agree) so assuming they will want me to start on cpap then bipap, then a rsv treatment. I gotta go thru 3 machines? The dme already said my consult is 250 dollars with insurance and 60 a month for 13 months for a standard cpap. Then what I gotta do this 3 more times? Do I hold out and talk to my doctor about a rsv machine and delay this further?
Post Reply Post Reply
Side note the dme uses resmed so I’m assuming a 10 elite or auto set is what they would set me up with.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you must go that route, ask for AutoSet. Even if you don't have too much variance in pressure, the AutoSet might be better for you.

And yes you will likely need to fail CPAP, BPAP and then maybe finally onto the ASV. They say you must wait the 3 months for compliance pass or fail. Don't if it's bad. If it gets bad enough, you'll need to complain long, loud, and constantly. It's not working doc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard cyipher.

Just wanted to throw in my 2¢. If you wind up paying $60/month, you would pay for a new ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV (Adaptive Servo-Ventilation) machine in 36 months through Supplier #2.

My insurance did not cover the cost of the machine or consumables. So I got the script after playing nice in Kaiser's sandbox for 9 months going through all the necessary (and ridiculous) steps to eventually graduate with a complex apnea diagnosis. That got me my diploma (script) for a ResMed ASV machine and a pat on the behind.

The ResMed ASV is a wonderful machine for taking care of my complex apnea needs. According to numerous posts here, it is the gold standard, at the moment, (new ASV 11 models may be lurking on the horizon (not ASV yet)) for treating centrals and complex apnea.

Best of luck and keep up posted as to your PAP journey.

From one hose-head to a future hose-head.  Bigwink

Eat-popcorn
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Insist on the ResMed AutoSet. Your argument is it can be set in CPAP mode and CPAP on the Sleep Test was IMHO marginal at best with bad results at all settings above and below their recommended setting.

The AutoSet is the same billing code as any CPAP. You pay the same via insurance either way, with a CPAP their cost is down, if they insist on Philips Respironics machine (dreamstation) that is lower cost to them. Is they say They don't have or carry ResMed it means they exclusively Cary PR which means even lower cost for them. Remember you are still paying the same. With all the lower cost for them what is their motive? Profit for them or your best interest?

AutoSet only and insist on it. Walk out of the DME, and let them know they lost a very profitable sale, if you do not get an AutoSet!
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that with the AutoSet you can claim that you failed at CPAP, and you failed at BiLevel with a PS of 3.

Hopefully getting you that much closer to an ASV

If you don't fail that would be great too.
The AutoSet is just a very flexible machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point Gideon. The AutoSet does give BPAP therapy via the EPR setting.

I cannot stress this enough, take notes of whatever therapy results you get. In detail. If it actually works for you, OK then problem solved. BUT if it fails you, you'll have notes to point to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 562 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.