Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a larger capacity humidifier chamber?
Is there a larger capacity humidifier chamber?
I was only just diagnosed and started using my AirCurve 10 vAuto in June and it's been GREAT!

Now however, having just caught Covid (yeah!) I am unable to breathe through my nose.

So I switched from my Dreamwear nasal to the Dreamwear full face.

The good news is I can breathe at night, the bad news is because I'm mouth-breathing and breathing way more, my humidifier chamber is now bone dry in the morning; so is my mouth.

I've searched and searched, but can't locate a larger capacity chamber.

It's gonna suck if I have to be like this for the next several weeks.

Am I SOL?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a larger capacity humidifier chamber?
Sorry, there is not a larger humidifier chamber.  Many folk seem to have the same problem of running out of water.

Here are a couple threads with the same issue. Hope you find something that works.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...fier-water

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...irsense-10
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No. If you are drying out the humidity chamber, you have excessive leaks. That is where we need to begin to improve therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being that you're using a Full Face mask and you know you're breathing through your mouth... this alone can use up the water in your chamber.  

Your also may have leakage going on from your mask.   Do you notice air leaking from your mask?  

If you're up to it, post an OSCAR chart so we can see if there is excess leakage.  

Right now, though... I think finding comfort and trying to breathe normally while dealing with Covid should be your priority.  

Have you asked your doctor to prescribe a decongestant to help your breathe through your nose?  

Good luck and hope you have a quick recovery.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have Covid and therefore will be dead soon, does it matter?

Joking!

If your nasal congestion is temporary (lucky you) I would suggest a nasal decongestant rather than mess around with machine mods. Also turn your humidity level DOWN because, once the tank is empty, you're operating under the worst conditions - the machine is still warming the air but can't add humidity. This is absolutely guaranteed to be very uncomfortable.

Ask me how I know Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Also.. consider adding a room humidifier (we use a "cool" ultrasonic one). With proper humidity in the room, the machine would use less water per hour for a given mask-humidity.
As mentioned above, check for mask leaks.. Ive had mine race through a tank on nights when my mask wasn't adjusted very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just logging in here today to lament over this same subject. 

I live in a very arid climate, and it is so very frustrating that this darn humidifier messes with my sleep so badly.  This morning I woke up with a gigantic headache, and sure enough the humidifier is bone dry.  I'm going to have to add a humidifier to my bedroom at night - hopefully that'll help my CPAP'S humidifier not use all of its water. 

I would so very much love an XL humidifier for the CPAP.

I have recently learned how to not have the dried out humidifier put off a burned popcorn smell when it runs out of water - use distilled water. 

Meanwhile, I'd almost prefer to smell the burned smell, so I could know to wake up and refill the humidifier tub.  That would be better than waking up with this bad headache, which I know will linger all day.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best way is to treat your nasal congestion and fix your leaks (using a who tank of water in one nigh is excessive, unless you sleep like 18 hour cycles)
Off the shelf products care great except for their "rebound effect" which makes your nose kind of addicted to them and you will have to use them forever to keep your nasal passage open.
However you can get steroid type of decongestants off the shelf (as twice ., sometimes three times the price of regular decongestants) in brands like Nasacourt which have no "rebound effect' and you can use them as long as necessary without getting your nose hooked on them.
Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 01:05 PM)S. Manz Wrote: (using a who tank of water in one nigh is excessive, unless you sleep like 18 hour cycles)

This is entirely naive. Some people live in very dry climates. My humidifier runs out every night in less than 7 hours. I do not have leaks. It is simply very dry where I live.

I did used to live in a very humid area, and I only needed to refill my humidifier tub every 5 days or so. So while I can understand why someone might think the above quoted statement, it truly lacks perspective.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in N. AZ. I think I can count on a handful of fingers the times I ran out of water in the reservoir. I know my mask(s) leaks from time to time. Very rarely do I go a full night w/o a mask leak.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 758 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 209 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 353 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.