Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a link between sleep apnea treatment and incontinence?
Is there a link between sleep apnea treatment and incontinence?
Maybe I'm just getting old...74 now...

When I'm stressed problems start.

What regulates our breathing?

Does shallow breathing/interruptions contribute to incontinence?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a link between sleep apnea treatment and incontinence?
My uncle told me he stopped having to wake up multiple times during the night to pee when he started using cpap, because a deeper/more sleep help the secretion of an enzyme or hormone that inhibit the drive to pee.

So one could make an educated guess about how sleep apnea facilitate incontinence through this kind of mechanism.
Although, how does things work with day-time incontinence, I dont know.

Quite interested tho, beacuse my dad have both a fgrowing incontinence problem, and an untreated apnea since many years, and I'm trying to make him change his mind about cpap, which he hated when he tried it
Post Reply Post Reply
For me before cpap I would have a glass of water on the night stand and wake up and need to have a sip or two and also pee, this was because I was a mouth breather.

On cpap with the humidifier and now breathing through nose I don’t need the extra water for dry mouth, now I sleep through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been on CPAP now for well over two years. Still find the need to get up during the night to visit the bathroom. Not as much mind you as I used to, but I'm still far from being able to sleep thru the night.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Not really incontinence but more nocturia. Here is an extract from an article on one of the other apnea boards that explains it -

"How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”"

I found that once I was being treated for sleep apnea, my night time trips to the bathroom dropped drastically and I didn't have to get up every hour to pee.

BTW, it did a search on peeing and sleep apnea and the link to this article was the first one that popped up. I use DuckDuckGo for my search engine. Your results may vary. Other articles essentially say the same and I believe there have been posts here regarding it.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
There’s an article associating pediatric apnea with nocturia, bed wetting, in children.  So yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I have trouble during the day.
I fired my family doc years ago. He had me on water pills, and pills to prevent urgent urination....whatever it's called. Flowmax? Too many drugs. I stopped taking both.

I'm back on BP medication, but I've quit water pills.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had more needed bathroom trips before PAP therapy than after. Going to the potty less or more... I'm supposing things do or don't affect the potty breaks and frequency counts, but ultimately the answer may be it just DEPENDS.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. I used to have to get up 3-5 times a night before cpap. That was 30 years ago.

But my issue is during the day. Stress seems to cause it. But sometimes I seem to slouch a lot. And sometimes I don't breath it seems This is coming back from dog walks. Trying to get back into the house.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
ah OK my bad, I had daytime bathroom needs when I was carrying a lot more weight than now. Not accusing you of the weight, but elder age might be reason.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 38 9 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 285 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.