Is there a need to redefine the upper normal limit of TSH?
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Is there a need to redefine the upper normal limit of TSH?
This paper poses the question of lowering the maximum limit on the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) Blood test. TSH is elevated in hypothyroidism as it attempts to raise the actual levels of T3 and T4. Despite the conclusion in the abstract, medicine is moving in the direction of doing further investigation when TSH is in the 2 to 4+ range. The first test is to measure levels of T3 and T4.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16645008

Abstract

Mild forms of hypothyroidism--subclinical hypothyroidism--have recently been discussed as being a risk factor for the development of overt thyroid dysfunction and for a number of clinical disorders. The diagnosis critically depends on the definition of the upper normal limit of serum TSH as, by definition, free thyroxine serum concentrations are normal. Cut-off levels of 4-5 mU TSH/l have been conventionally used to diagnose an elevated TSH serum concentration. Recent data from large population studies have suggested a much lower TSH cut-off with an upper limit of 2-2.5 mU/l but application of strict criteria for inclusion of subjects from the general population studies aiming at assessing TSH reference intervals (no personal or family history of thyroid disease, no thyroid antibodies and a normal thyroid on ultrasonography) did not result in an unequivocal upper limit of normal TSH at 2.0-2.5 mU/l. When summarizing the available evidence for lowered upper TSH cut-off values and their potential therapeutic implications there is presently insufficient justification to lower the upper normal limit of TSH and, for practical purposes, it is still recommended to maintain the TSH reference interval of 0.4-4.0 mU/l. Classifying subjects with a TSH value between 2 and 4 mU/l as abnormal, as well as intervening with thyroxine treatment in such subjects, is probably doing more harm than good.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-13-2015 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Sex: Male

RE: Is there a need to redefine the upper normal limit of TSH?
Treatment of hypothyroidism at least in the USA definitely leave a lot to be desired. I have lived this and is not idle speculation.
I have a very Large maternal family many of whom have a history of hyperthyroidism. I presented with all the classic symptoms except PMS (though my ex-wife would beg to differ) and said familial history but the *****d TSH test said "no" so I was denied treatment. This has been going on for 30 yrs..... And I and my family have suffered terribly for it.
This is why I am interested in fluoridation. There seems to be an epidemic of hypothyroidism and I cant help wonder if it is an environmental issue? Doc Wils says no re fluoridation and I have no reason to doubt him but I would like to know why hypothyroidism seems to be increasingly common.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
05-13-2015 06:38 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: Is there a need to redefine the upper normal limit of TSH?
If my TSH is above 2, I'm going to be increasing my replacement hormone. Just sayin.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
05-13-2015 07:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board