Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a use for the modem after DME is gone?
Is there a use for the modem after DME is gone?
So after Medicare pays for my  unit, I assume my DME will not have any motivation for getting data remotely from my unit.  Is there any thing I can do with the modem once the unit is mine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a use for the modem after DME is gone?
Yep you can throw it away.

Banana
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
We stuck my brother's modem into his case in case one day he is notified that they need to update the software. Happened once on the Resmed Airsense, never on the Phillips 560 to my knowledge. If you don't use the online patient software, there's no point to it.

Make certain that the DME doesn't expect you to return it. Some DMEs didn't have the cost of the modem as part of the insurance contract and want them back for future patients (Phillips).
Post Reply Post Reply
Phillips Respironics doesn't update their software via phone modem. Resmed did update software once but that was using WiFi which was more practical and cheaper.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If it's removable, it might become a decent door stop. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2018, 10:36 PM)DBBCPAP Wrote: So after Medicare pays for my  unit, I assume my DME will not have any motivation for getting data remotely from my unit.  Is there any thing I can do with the modem once the unit is mine?

I would remove it from the machine, but keep it.

Some DME’s have been known to ask for them to be returned, some don’t care.
Take time to read the paperwork you received with your machine to check if there is any mention of the modem.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New answer: if the DME knows what the modem is, they might want it back to make money off of it by having you return it, as said by others. Also mentioned was study your paperwork from the DME to see if a modem was listed/mentioned. Base your action off what shows on the contract papers. If it's not listed, it's possible you MIGHT be safe to assume the DME won't want it back. But just to be safe, don't destroy the modem, just remove it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Was there EVER a use for the modem before the DME was gone?

Yeah ..... Didn't think so.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME wanted the modem from my DreamStation Pro after I proved compliance.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2018, 09:06 AM)MitchS Wrote: The DME wanted the modem from my DreamStation Pro after I proved compliance.

Why am I not surprised? BTW DME has a theme song by Pink Floyd............MONEY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,075 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,927 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  Does my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto have a modem? Morseman 4 293 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 585 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  de-activate modem dreamstation2 advanced The Rog 0 387 10-18-2023, 12:45 AM
Last Post: The Rog
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 798 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Airsense11 - No modem? wils98 11 2,146 02-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.