Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a way to actually heat the air?
Is there a way to actually heat the air?
Maybe I should know this answer, then again maybe not, then again maybe I do but I'm hoping someone has an idea. Now I just confused myself.

Is there a way to heat the air coming into the mask?

It's starting to get cold, and the real heat isn't on in the house yet, and as all we have is electric heat I am loathe to use it any sooner than need be. As the bed is heated anyway turning on the room heat is usually a waste anyway. The issue for me is that the air coming in through the hose is cold, seems even colder than the ambient room air and it really bothers me.

I have seen many people talk about how "hot the air is" and all that so I am just wondering if there really is a way to heat the air.

As always thanks in advance!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a way to actually heat the air?
Finally, a good use for that old Zippo lighter that you've been saving all these years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 12:16 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Finally, a good use for that old Zippo lighter that you've been saving all these years.

I knew there would come a "so called" comedian, and I KNEW it would be YOU! But really, any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
You could use a Bunsen burner.
Or you could get the heated hose option for your humidifier. It needs to include a new lid, heated hose and 80 watt power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 02:46 PM)bwexler Wrote: You could use a Bunsen burner.
Or you could get the heated hose option for your humidifier. It needs to include a new lid, heated hose and 80 watt power supply.

I thought the heated hose option was just for rain out. Does it actually heat the air? Please elaborate for me or just point me in the general direction Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it has a range of heat settings from 0 to 5. The heat is what prevents the rainout.
Look at supplier number 1 for the details.
Post Reply Post Reply
A small electric heater with a thermostat enclosed with your CPAP with vents for incoming air or get a heated hose as bwexler said. The heated hose option will heat the hose to prevent rainout. You can run it manually so that you can set the hose temperature. Some of that heat will transfer to the moving air. You can help it by insulating the hose. Will it be enough for you? I do not know and it will depend on the airflow rate through the hose.

The other alternative is to quit being such a wuss.....................just kidding! Personally I enjoy breathing cool air but we are all different except for R_G. He is the same (You see that if you say it enough times, it becomes fact).

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
For a time when I lived in Phoenix the air coming out of the hose was unbearable warm. I fiddled with stuff as I'm inclined to do, got a night of rainout (so now I know what that is), then put climate control on auto and raised the humidity when I got to Montreal. I do remember I had the option of 1-5 at one point of my fiddling.

It seems like you get auto climate control with the ability to adjust humidity, or manual with the ability to adjust the heat. The hot air was too much, I do better with cool and moist.

I could be wrong, though. The climate control and humidity is somewhat confusing.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an air vent between my machine, and my bed, and it has seemed cooler than it should, but I have been on cpap a little over a month, now, and nothing seems as it should be. When it gets cool enough for the heat to kick on, I'll let you know...
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the heated hose. Setting 1 is 4 degrees above ambient and progress up to 16 degrees above ambient room temperature.
I couldnt run mine in heated hose mode at all in the summer. Just now turned it back on. At a setting of 1. Its got pretty coolish here lately. We heat with wood and hadnt built the fire yet so some nights it would be 55 or so in the bedroom. On 1 air was plenty warm for me. 5 you think your in the Sahara as far as hose air temp goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 373 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 373 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  eson2 mask and heat tubing kerm007 2 404 10-07-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kerm007
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 753 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  [Equipment] Can cpap hose/tube be heat disinfected Barefooter64 5 737 08-12-2021, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Why I hate MyAir more than the heat of 1000 suns! cathyf 29 3,419 08-07-2021, 10:58 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [CPAP] Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME) for Z1Travel CPAP machine cykoek 10 9,290 06-03-2019, 02:40 AM
Last Post: linnyKravitz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.