Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a way to add fragrance to cpap?!?
Surprised 
Is there a way to add fragrance to cpap?!?
Ok hope this isn't a silly request. But I was wondering if there was a way to add a fragrance to either the mask or the air from the cpap machine. I find that the air that's blowing in my nose every night can be quite bland & boring. It would be interesting if there was a way to have aroma therapy smells coming from the mask. Does anyone kno if it's possible & what I would need to do to have this happen?!? Has anyone ever wanted a way to have a fragrant in the cpap air?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a way to add fragrance to cpap?!?
(04-16-2014, 12:06 AM)mstiff027 Wrote: Has anyone ever wanted a way to have a fragrant in the cpap air?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...omatherapy
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mstiff027,
Google pur-sleep, you might find some interesting things there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Years ago, I had a sleep therapist recommend a drop of Downy in the humidifier tank.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I would never add anything to the humidifier tank or inside the mask.

What I have done, and still do off and on, is to take a cotton ball and stick a loop of tape to it so I can stick it to the nightstand behind my machine (right by the air intake), then put a few drops of essential oil on top of it. Increase or decrease the number of drops or move the cotton ball closer or further away to control the level of fragrance. Start with just a couple drops because essential oil can be pretty potent.

I use pure essential oils I get on Amazon for a reasonable price. I've tried several, but the only ones I really like are lavender oil and eucalyptus oil. Eucalyptus helps with sinus congestion, but can be overpowering so tread lightly. I also like rose oil (rose absolute) but that stuff is much more expensive.

I would check with Mr. Google first to make sure any oil is safe for concentrated inhalation before trying it.

Just a few warnings: any scent can be overpowering if you use too much, and some scents will irritate you and keep you awake even in small doses. I've found real lavender to be best for relaxation and going to sleep, but real lavender does not smell like lavender scented air freshener or dryer sheets.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to keep in mind, whatever smell you put into your machine is not going to be like a lit candle in the bedroom. It is being forced into your nose. It will be a lot different.

Personally, I don't think it is a wise thing to do. The air from the CPAP is not that much blander than the air without it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was listening to radio lab on NPR about the brain and the funny thing is that your nose sense of smell is plugged directly into the brain. In other words, you can drown out sounds and other senses but smell has a direct immediate path. They put something in these caterpillars cages that smelled horrible to them on a oacassion while they fed them. Then the caterpillar went into the molten stage where they dissolve their entire body except a few brain cells. The butterfly that emerged would go nowhere near that smell while original unexposed butterflys had no issues with. Anyways, my point is that I have family who like coffee in the morning. I can't sleep when I smell coffee. I don't drink it and never will but coffee or bacon or anything else wakes me up so I was wondering about a charcoal filter?? Too take any smell out?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 05:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Personally, I don't think it is a wise thing to do.

Yeah, you all need to ask Paula about her pup's attempt to add "fragrance" to her CPAP. Confused

Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 08:37 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-16-2014, 05:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Personally, I don't think it is a wise thing to do.

Yeah, you all need to ask Paula about her pup's attempt to add "fragrance" to her CPAP. Confused

Bigwink

Yep, that would really be unwise! Paula, we need to hear that story. You could put it in this thread since it does have to do with fragrance.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 07:02 PM)davek Wrote: ... coffee or bacon or anything else wakes me up so I was wondering about a charcoal filter?? Too take any smell out?

Just eat all the bacon then go back to bed...problem solved! I can't help you with the coffee though, going back to bed might be difficult after disposing of that.

Seriously though, studies in humans have also found that direct olfactory link to the brain. Interesting stuff.

I found use of lavender oil to greatly enhance sleep hygiene. After a few weeks of using it my brain must have started taking the cue - out like a light when the scent hit me. The only problem, and the biggest reason I only use it intermittently now, is that I had to keep using more and more in order to smell it. I thought my bottle of lavender oil might be losing its potency so I had someone else take a whiff of the open bottle...turns out it wasn't losing its potency, my sense of smell was just deadened to it. Now I just use it occasionally, when I'm having trouble getting to sleep. It works like a charm. I'd like to think I'm pretty sharp, turns out I'm no better than Pavlov's pooch...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 755 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.