Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there any way for me to monitor amount of time in N3 sleep?
Is there any way for me to monitor amount of time in N3 sleep?
In my initial study in May I had 0 mins in stage N3 sleep which was disconcerting but understandable due to having undiagnosed (and misdiagnosed) OSA for probably 15 years. However in a titration study I did in early September, at which point I was compliant using APAP for 2+ months, I also had 0 mins in N3 sleep. I think this explains why I am still fatigued all throughout the day and have yawning fits in which I yawn a dozen times in a half hour at several points during the day. So I'm wondering, is there a way I can monitor my N3 sleep?

Some sleepyhead stats: imgur.com/a/sMTGT
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there any way for me to monitor amount of time in N3 sleep?
Not seeing how to edit my message now, but my pressure pre-titration was 6-12cm (determined by Kaiser), and the titration study in September was found to be 7cm. However during the titration study they started me at 5cm and increased it slowly & I slept very poorly (66% sleep efficiency with constant awakenings, 15 mins total in REM). By the time they got me up to 7cm the study was pretty much over. Since using 7-12cm in September, I've slowly increased it up to to 9-12cm now and am sleeping better than before, but as I said earlier nowhere near rested.
Post Reply Post Reply
2 months is still early days for PAP therapy. Are your leaks under control? AHI? RERA index?

If your leaks are under control and AHI is under control and RERA is under control then O2 levels are not causing you to miss going into deep sleep.

If you are not Going to Deep sleep (N3/REM), then one potential cause is microarousals caused by pressure variations of the Auto PAP machine. These microarousals knock you out of a deeper sleep state to a shallower one, consequently not letting you get to N3/REM.

You may want to try straight pressure to rule this out. A good straight pressure to set is the 90% pressure reading of your machine for the last 30 days.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 10:37 PM)AshSF Wrote: 2 months is still early days for PAP therapy. Are your leaks under control? AHI? RERA index?

If your leaks are under control and AHI is under control and RERA is under control then O2 levels are not causing you to miss going into deep sleep.

If you are not Going to Deep sleep (N3/REM), then one potential cause is microarousals caused by pressure variations of the Auto PAP machine. These microarousals knock you out of a deeper sleep state to a shallower one, consequently not letting you get to N3/REM.

You may want to try straight pressure to rule this out. A good straight pressure to set is the 90% pressure reading of your machine for the last 30 days.

My AHI over the past 3 months (started cpap late June): imgur.com/a/sMTGT (can't post links so just copy/paste)

My leak rate seems to be okay: imgur.com/zT1wuxx

Looking over individual nights there's always 10-20+ pressure spikes like in the image above so that could definitely explain any microarousals. I'll give straight CPAP a go.. thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Question.. is there any difference on a System One between straight CPAP @ 9cm vs. Auto @ 9-9cm? E.g. are there certain advantageous non-pressure-increasing related functions performed in auto mode but not in straight cpap, like pressure pulses?
Post Reply Post Reply
There may be other issues with your sleep, but it may also get better with patience and time. It took me 6 mo to begin to see an increase in REM and probably also deep sleep cycles, since I'd had apnea for so long and had developed sleeping patterns around the arousals of apnea. At just short of 1 yr, I am hoping to see continued improvements.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 11:02 PM)DariaVader Wrote: There may be other issues with your sleep, but it may also get better with patience and time. It took me 6 mo to begin to see an increase in REM and probably also deep sleep cycles, since I'd had apnea for so long and had developed sleeping patterns around the arousals of apnea. At just short of 1 yr, I am hoping to see continued improvements.

That definitely could be the case with me too; I am 29 now and dozed off all the time in high school & college classes so I'm looking at 15 years of bad sleep to undo..
Post Reply Post Reply
so then, like me - you had apnea during childhood yrs, probably. good on you for finding it before 30. I am in my late 50s Smile
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 10:50 PM)mrkdilkington Wrote: Question.. is there any difference on a System One between straight CPAP @ 9cm vs. Auto @ 9-9cm? E.g. are there certain advantageous non-pressure-increasing related functions performed in auto mode but not in straight cpap, like pressure pulses?

Your leak rate, AHi is excellent. Looking at your pressure chart you should Stay in auto @9-9. System one flags flow limitations only in APAP mode. So it's useful to stay in APAP mode with min = max, just to collect more useful data.

Pressure pulses are used in all modes, purely to differentiate between a clear airway event and an obstructive event. They are typically less than a second in duration and don't show up on pressure curve. What you are seeing on your pressure chart is the hunt n peck algorithm of the system one which raises the pressure by 1.5cm over a longer duration and then ramps it back down if it doesn't detect any qualitative improvement in its analysis of the breathing waveform.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely give it some time. I'm at 6 months now and have recently started consistently getting good deep rem sleep. Ha-ha I always told people I never remembered dreaming -- turns out I just never was dreaming at all. I dream now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 7 101 4 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 866 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 115 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 265 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 295 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,940 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.