Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there anyone here who doesn't care?
RE: Is there anyone here who doesn't care?
As the daughter of someone who gave himself his own dementia and damaged his own heart enough to require a heart valve replacement...yeah...CPAP use is EXTREMELY important. One does not usually die immediately from sleep apnea, it tends to chip away for years; stealing health, independence, brain function, energy level, enjoyment of life/friends/family, etc. My father was an electrical engineer and I almost cried when it took him 45 minutes to open a yogurt container, which he did by using a knife to cut under the lid. Very, VERY sad.

He was already brain damaged when he received the diagnosis of sleep apnea and periodic limb movement disorder, so he had no real idea just how important it was to use a CPAP and he absolutely REFUSED to use ANY type of mask...we tried; so did the one-on-one staff in the Cardiac ICU when he had his heart valve replaced. He just flat refused to use anything on his face or in his nasal openings.

So, please nightflight, stick with it. Keep trying. Find what works. Please do NOT give up!

Better living through machinery!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Nightflight, There are things worse than dieing yes. There are a few things that have happened in my life that I would gladly have given my own life to prevent. One that even now years later if it would change what happened I still would. And Im not a person that takes my life lightly.

Ive got exactly 9 days on the machine so far so Im new to this too. But compared to what could happen. Having a stroke so my wife would get to change my pants for me for the rest of her days. Waking up brain damaged one morning from lack of oxygen for years. A heart attack in my sleep etc etc the machine and the mask is no big deal.

Its not like Im the picture of health anyway but 9 nights on this thing have made a huge difference in my life. I have a memory, energy that I havent had in ten years.

Trust me this is worth the little distraction it presents. It may take longer as Ive read and talked to some folks I didnt even know had apnea until I found out I had it. Some like me got almost instant results. Others it took several months and the change was much more gradual.

Nightflight stick with this. Yeah there are things worst than dieing. Been there done that.

Treating the sleep apnea aint one of em. P.S. Please take this in the spirit in which its posted. Which is with best hopes for you getting better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding another post, both for the OP, and perhaps, for others that might read this thread.

I believe in quality of life. I believe that each person should have the right to decide if/when their life is no longer worth living. I believe each adult should have the right to end their own life early, by their own choice, and that the laws of man should not apply here. And as a believer in God - that too is between that person and God (or whatever they call or think of as a greater power).

That all said, and as a multi-year CPAP user, for me, OSA, and the need to wear my hose, mask, etc every single moment I sleep has actually increased my personal quality of life. I do realize that this is not so for everyone, and rarely so for anyone in the beginning stages of use.

My OSA created a severe heart issue that has taken many years of both CPAP and meds to improve.

As with the post above me, I do not think that OSA, and learning to become a hose-head, in and of itself should become a deal-breaker for anyone. I *could* see it as the icing on the cake, etc to make one think seriously about their overall quality of life.

Speaking strictly for myself, if I took the last 3 years to base a 'quality of life' choice on - I honestly could see myself not wanting to hang around much longer. However - times change, and I still have hope (silly or not) for a brighter personal future - so I am sticking around to see what happens next...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  It Just Doesn't Matter cmpman1974 6 638 12-04-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 673 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,251 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  This chart doesn't look good to me - What do you get from it? jimvs 4 560 08-03-2023, 09:51 AM
Last Post: jimvs
  My sleep is crap, doesn’t seem to be the machine, what to do? emmylouwho 36 3,072 07-25-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 852 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.