Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture
Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture
Hi,
I have read an article relating the effect of the acupuncture for apnea.

The article's name is 

"The Clinical Effect of Acupuncture in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials"

The conclusion of the article is so;

"In summary, the results of our review suggest that both MA(manual acupuncture) and EA(Electroacupuncture) were effective in improving AHI and mean SaO2; additionally, MA could further improve apnea index and hypopnea index when compared with control treatment. Regarding the comparison of MA and nCPAP, no definite conclusion could be drawn due to the limited evidence. Additional RCTs with rigorous study design and larger sample size are required."

Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture? Or any comment...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture
It would depend on what control they were using and who they were using as well.
Read between the lines and it says it made no difference.   What a surprise!
Like a lot of these things, they never give you all the facts anyway.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an aversion to sharp objects.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I must admit I have not heard of acupuncture for apnea treatment. Not attempting to push us off topic or anything, but I have been referred by my PA-C for acupuncture twice for my back pain, which is caused by degenerative disc, thoracic stenosis, and several other back diseases thrown in for good measure.

I have not been able to participate in the needle stick ritual, as I have to pay cash, with a hope the insurance reimburses something. With zero income, I have put this on hold. Besides, I agree with Walla Walla Huhsign , I am allergic to needle pain.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Acupuncture works, theoretically, by diverting and realigning the energy pathways within our bodies. Since our bodies contain so much electricity, it is a plausible concept.

I would try it if I a study could provide evidence it worked. I'd love to decrease my pressure.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
While I do believe that acupuncture can stimulate certain nerves to influence the body... unless you are poking holes in my throat, this is one I don't see helping....
Post Reply Post Reply
I have done acupuncture, but not for sleep. It was for back pain then allergies. It wasworking for ba k pain there was a good side effect which was my acid reflux stopped. Then on allergies it was the best way to stop them for 3 months
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the link to the paper referred to in the original post:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4834396/

I'll read it and comment later. However, like some others here I'm a coward when it comes to needles.

Edit: OK, I've read the paper and have to admit that I'm not sufficiently versed in medical research and statistical methods to draw any firm conclusions. However the authors seem to be saying that acupuncture achieves better results compared with non-specific controls (which I assume to mean no treatment). Compared to "nasal CPAP" there seems to be insufficient high quality data to draw a distinction, and some of the studies have a high risk of bias. I think I'll stick to my CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 121 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 281 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,016 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 581 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.