Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there personally identifying info on CPAP SD cards?
Is there personally identifying info on CPAP SD cards?
Do CPAP SD cards have any personally identifiable information on them? If the info from the cards were analyzed by software on a computer or smartphone or on a website, would it be subject to HIPAA regulations? Or would HIPAA only apply if the information was being sent over the internet?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there personally identifying info on CPAP SD cards?
The machine serial number is on the card. For most people that serial number is tied to their name.
The patient's name is generally in the analytic software. The software recognizes the flow generator serial number as belonging the the patient's name.
Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer...
Transmission over the internet would require encryption to be HIPPA compliant.
The entity that possesses the computer has a duty to protect data on that computer by using physical security; plus password protection; plus a duty to shred the hard drive when it's taken out of service.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My smartcard has puppy teeth-mark DNA on it. Does that count?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 01:53 PM)retired_guy Wrote: My smartcard has puppy teeth-mark DNA on it. Does that count?

Some local jurisdictions are compelling Dog DNA be in their database.
Oregon being behind enemy lines, I'd say, you're in deep yogurt.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Not that this is on topic - but then maybe it is?
If you use a computer as an appliance but are curious as to the contents thereof download PhotoRec and play with it.
You deleted that private stuff on you computer? HAHAHAHA!
You are a hobbyist and formatted that hard drive, card, camera internal memory and now that stuff is gone? HAHAHAHA! silly goose.
I suspect if you do this you will never dispose of storage media again until you physically destroy it ever again.

(and yes in my lucid moments I know I am using a 'puter on the interweb so my life is an open book)

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yaycpap,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First off, HIPAA is not just a privacy thing.

However, let's consider the HIPAA privacy rules. The HIPAA privacy rules only apply to certain "covered entities."

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/und...index.html

Read the link, but it's healthcare providers, "Health Plan," and "Health Care Clearinghouses." The "Health Care Clearinghouse" is basically someone who works for one of the other defined "covered entities."

Of course the government and lawsuit lawyers always follow the rules, don't harass someone not covered by the rules.

Also, realize that even the government's web site has no legal bearing in court.

Internet experts' opinions don't count in court.

Even your own lawyer's opinion has no bearing in court, and your lawyer actually makes more money if you DO get sued.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dod requires a 7x overwrite on an HDD to assure erasure.
Some "Agencies" require the surface of the platters to be ground off.
That's time consuming and expensive; so, I know where there is a basement full of used HDDs.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 04:50 PM)justMongo Wrote: Dod requires a 7x overwrite on an HDD to assure erasure.
That's time consuming and expensive; so, I know where there is a basement full of used HDDs.

Remember all the noise when someone made it known photocopy machines sold off lease still had what they copied on the fixed disk? A deer slug does a pretty good job of pulverizing platter - so I heard Grin

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 04:50 PM)justMongo Wrote: Dod requires a 7x overwrite on an HDD to assure erasure.

That's an interesting subject, but I don't see how it relates to whether there is personally identifying information on an SD card.

Maybe we should start another thread about hard disk/SD card erasure. Maybe the OT forum.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 115 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 261 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 694 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 127 19,651 12-17-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Data on 2 separate SD cards. Merge? eok361 21 877 12-11-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Please Review My Data (Oximeter Info Included) — Still Tired Despite "Good" Treatment avhenry 16 1,985 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.