Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this Periodic Breathing & How can I Improve AHI (Centrals & Hypopneas)?
RE: Is this Periodic Breathing & How can I Improve AHI (Centrals & Hypopneas)?
Please share your OSCAR charts ( download Oscar free at the top of the site). That is the data we need to help you. There is a link to which charts and OSCAR use in my signature.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I am inclined to believe that REM sleep would look more like this, from the green line at 02:15 until about 02:24 seen in this chart:

[Image: hIxVqp0.png]

1. very irregular frequency of respiration.
2. characteristic drop of tidal volume to stay mostly below the average tidal volume.
3. breathing shape very similar to awake breathing form. [in, out, in, out] no delays.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
QAL, I sometimes use a Dreem headband to get information about sleep stages. It has an EEG capacity, so it's better than e.g. a Fitbit.

My first REM period each night is unmistakable, and confirmed by Dreem. My respiration rate is elevated, though I do usually have pauses between breaths (shorter ones than in other sleep stages). The flow rate is often somewhat uneven. And the REM period always concludes with a short wake-up. (Apparently that's quite common.)

So my suspicion is that REM manifests differently for different people. It even manifests differently for me at different times of night. The Dreem often shows REM sleep during the second half of the night when I would never guess from the respiration rate that it's going on (though I do still see wake-ups at the end).
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo,

Thanks, I had no such device to aid me in my case, but there were various PubMed and NIH articles that justify the unevenness of flow and respiration, tidal volume, and the awake like breathing.  It is also documented in NIH studies that most REM ends with a burst of volume and breathing types seen in awake-ness, though it only lasts for several seconds, and most people do not remember being awake.

I do quite often wake up and stew on my dreams after REM sleep.  My dreams are much different now that I am on APAP therapy.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,048 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 374 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,771 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 231 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 146 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.