Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this UARS and anyone recommend best course of treatment??
Is this UARS and anyone recommend best course of treatment??
For the last year or two I have had increasing levels of fatigue and brain fog and have exhausted just about every reason except Sleep Disorders. 

So I recently did a sleep study that came back with an AHI of 6.6 (mild sleep apnea) but the test didn't record RERA'S and was told by the doc that this wasn't a big deal and I could try a cpap if I wanted but probably won't help too much. I then came across UARS and suspected it could be my because I realised about the same time that my symptoms started i have been pretty much constantly congested in my nose. Anyway I did a WatchPat study last night and have got the results attached and am wondering if they suggest UARS and what my move should be to start treating it if so? 

Note that during the test i woke up at about 1 and couldn't get back to sleep until about 4 for some reason which doesn't normally happen, I think I was worrying about the test, but I think this doesn't skew the results as it says that my sleep time was only 5 and a half hours. Also 1.2% of REM sleep cant be good.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this UARS and anyone recommend best course of treatment??
WatchPAT is notorious for under-estimating AHI and in your case the sleep time is severely disrupted. The study only counts 5 hours of sleep in what appears to be 9 hours. That's exhausting. The study is what it is, so move forward and get a good auto CPAP, mask and supplies. The best unit for UARS is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset because it can target flow limitation from UARS and provide some bilevel therapy with up to 3-cm difference between inhale and exhale pressure. It is this pressure support that not only stabilizes your airway, but assists in the effort of breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this UARS and anyone recommend best course of treatment??
Your apnea is consistent with your previous test.  The RDI indicates borderline moderate OSA.  The difference between RDI and OA say that you are having a lot of flow limitations. Flow limitations say you are having resistance in your breathing, so yes, you most likely have UARS.

Also it appears your respiratory events are occuring prior to your wake periods.

Flow limits are best treated with pressure support   I have no way of knowing how much pressure support you will need.  

On machines, especially CPAP, ONLY get ResMed, because of their implementation of EPR that will act as pressure support with values of 1,2, or 3.  Here I Strongly prefer the AutoSet model.

More pressure support can be supplied with a BiLevel machine such as the ResMed VAuto  which can also provide PS in incremental values for fine tuning.

Doctors tend to prescribe the CPAP and fail that before trying the BiLevel which is twice the cost.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 84 9 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 978 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 58 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.