Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this a logical way to establish my AHI baseline ?
Is this a logical way to establish my AHI baseline ?
I wish to establish a baseline for my AHI . So far  I am not aware of any standard procedure  on this topic  . As a result, I am thinking along this line :

_Set the pressure of the CPAP machine @ say, 0.1 cm H2O ( i.e. to simulate the case breathing without the CPAP machine)
_Record the AHI readings for a few days
_Then use the average as my AHI baseline .

Is this logical  ? Please comment. 

_I am also wondering if there is a commercial device that measures the AHI  ( i.e. independent of the CPAP machine )   .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this a logical way to establish my AHI baseline ?
The only device I know that is capable of registering apneas without a CPAP is an EEG. I think it would be far cheaper to pay for a sleep study. The sleep labs have all the toys that you're looking for.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The lowest pressure any CPAP machine can provide is 4.0 cm-H2O, so if you're determined to operate at low pressure to get an untreated AHI, that will be your starting point. The standard procedure to established a diagnostic AHI is to use either a home sleep study device or the best is a clinical polysomnograpy.

If you suspect you have obstructive sleep apnea, you are probably not wrong. A sure sign is when your wife or partner kicks you out of the bedroom for obnoxious snoring, and your own personal sense of fatigue, arousals, poor sleep quality, and in extreme cases falling asleep at work or while driving. A home sleep study can be obtained at reasonable cost from Supplier #30 and others. They will also provide diagnostic and prescription services if needed. My recommendation is that you use an auto CPAP machine, and just set it from 6.0 to 14.0 and see what the results are, then dial in the best therapy based on the data. Since you have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, the machine will produce full data, and you can interpret the results from the free #Sleepyhead program (much easier to understand and better information than ResScan).

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another way.... and I know it's odd but  you can often see how bad it is. Using a dim light, set a video recording device, i.e phone, camcorder, camera on record etc. Record yourself. When I did this I could easily see what was happening. I stopped breathing and then sucked air every minute. So, at least an ahi of 60. If it was 50 or 80, didn't matter. I had apnea. No question.

Later when I got my cpap machine I did set it to the lowest settings and Sleepyhead indicated the number of apneas I was having.
So, yes, in my experience I could without a doubt, diagnose myself with obstructive apnea.

Then again, all I needed to do was listen to my wife who long watched me do the same thing. I actually didn't have to do this other stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2018, 05:03 PM)DanGagner Wrote: Another way.... and I know it's odd but  you can often see how bad it is. Using a dim light, set a video recording device, i.e phone, camcorder, camera on record etc. Record yourself. When I did this I could easily see what was happening. I stopped breathing and then sucked air every minute. So, at least an ahi of 60. If it was 50 or 80, didn't matter. I had apnea. No question.

Later when I got my cpap machine I did set it to the lowest settings and Sleepyhead indicated the number of apneas I was having.
So, yes, in my experience I could without a doubt, diagnose myself with obstructive apnea.

Then again, all I needed to do was listen to my wife who long watched me do the same thing. I actually didn't have to do this other stuff.
Conclusion: Listen to your wife. LOL
I like your approach.  Seeing what struggling for air looks like is a powerful motivator for treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for commenting on various aspects of the AHI baseline question .

The lowest pressure I  can set on my CPAP machine ( i.e. ResMed Airsense 10) is 4 cm H2O . So  I have no choice but starting out with pressre set @ 4.0 .
Another factor got into the picture : mouth breathing  inside the full face mask !  To resolve this issue , I used mouth tapping ( i.e. using 3 pieces of
medical bandage tape ,  and taped them vertically , a long one at the center line  and 2 short ones at the corners of the mouth ) .

So far , this mouth tapping works quite well . For the past 3 days, I got consistent  AHI readings  between 8 and 10  . I will continue this procedure for another 4 days andd see how it goes....
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2018, 09:12 AM)tommyngo Wrote: _I am also wondering if there is a commercial device that measures the AHI  ( i.e. independent of the CPAP machine )    .

There are a number different home sleep study machines that measure AHI.

The ResMed and Embletta devices have effort bands that go around your abdomen, and a nasal canula that measures flow, among other metrics.
The WatchPat goes on your finger measures intra-thoracic pressure, which it can extrapolate into obstructive and central apneas.

As far as I know, none of them are available to the general public other than as a physician prescribed test. The WatchPat costs something like $4,000, and uses sensors that have to be replaced each night.

It would be interesting if Autoset machines could have some extra data channels. And the Airsense 10 does. Unfortunately, the pulse ox channel on the Airsense requires $900 worth of accessories to use, so I don't think other tools like a nasal canula for detecting flow and AHI while sleeping without PAP seems like a tool they'd ever add to the machines. A body position channel would be nice, though, since I know many OSAs and mask leaks can depend on body position.
Post Reply Post Reply
For mouth taping I highly recommend Somnifix tape. This product is great although it will cost you .53/night. (Grrr, they just increased the price)
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand why you are depriving yourself of therapy pressures you should be using to fully resolve AHI. Your low pressure AHI is not particularly alarming, but this is unnecessary and counter-productive. Raise your minimum pressure and enjoy some good sleep! Using a CPAP at sub-therapeutic pressures is proving nothing other than the fact you need higher pressure. This is not an untreated pressure or sleep test and has no medical benefit whatsoever.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
@Stom
_Thanks for some great & relevant infos.

@  mrZennie
I use    Nexcare Hypoallergenic First Aid Tape, 1 Inch x 10 Yards and so far, it works for me ( Cost 4.25 US for 2 rolls)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
Question Is it possible to measure your baseline apnea events with CPAP? hejohoo 5 646 08-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Understanding OSCAR data to establish pressure range? RoyMunson 7 2,020 04-25-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to DS2 and new to OSCAR - create baseline snapshot before refining setttings? OneSnorer 1 323 02-07-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Airsense 11 Baseline Mask Leak Rate hobbycamguy 2 2,087 11-14-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  Palatal prolapse or VAuto misplacement of 0-axis baseline? 2SleepBetta 7 1,002 03-21-2022, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP NelsonM 3 1,114 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.