Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this a scam by the provider?
Paula, how many machines has Medicare bought for you? If more than one, do they go the 'rental route' each time?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my second machine. The first one, an S7, was rented for like 3 yrs. In that time, they could have bought me at least 4 machines. Then it switched over to a lower pay of rental that covered any repairs. So when I got my S9, they (the DME) actually asked for it back.

My current machine was a rental as well. I don't think they are paying for it still. Again, in this time, they could have bought at least two for the price of this one.

Medicare is infamously overpaying for stuff. They 'rent' a machine because folks get better, right? They'd rather rent, with the theory of me getting better and turning the machine back in. They don't look at the condition and fit the plan to that condition. Somethings they do, but most things they don't.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2012, 07:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Medicare is infamously overpaying for stuff. They 'rent' a machine because folks get better, right? They'd rather rent, with the theory of me getting better and turning the machine back in. They don't look at the condition and fit the plan to that condition. Somethings they do, but most things they don't.

My take was that Medicare rents the machine at first because of the high non-compliance rate.

I do agree that they overpay a lot. And there is a lot of ripping off going on in CPAP machine marketing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Medicare has never asked me for compliance data. Never. So they'd not know who is or is not using their rented machines.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap provider overbilling insurance Company mrkurtz 11 401 11-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Last Post: heyslick
  Provider Medicare Billing Ripoff Walla Walla 9 631 07-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
Question Legality of provider changing settings Roger the Dodger 13 758 06-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  [Equipment] Best DME Provider In Seattle jdana24 14 1,032 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Ephraimh
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 14 1,412 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Does dreamstation need a provider for dreamapper data to sync? Axxel6307 5 708 02-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Jimsp1
  [CPAP] Local Provider vs. Online CPAP BigDaddySnooze 15 1,603 07-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr