Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this a true saturation drop or an artefact?
Is this a true saturation drop or an artefact?
Hi,

I occasionally see some saturation drops which are instantaneous and are generally the worst values for the night. For example:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=24634]

I find it too sudden to be true and also there is no flow event prior to it, at least not a serious one.  The one below is what I'd normally expect saturation drops to be like:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=24635]

More gradual and there is a respiratory event before it. Do you think the oxymeter can record false readings or do I need to look into them?

Thanks...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this a true saturation drop or an artefact?
Those sudden drops are likely sensor movement drops the o2 levels don’t drop thatfast
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this a true saturation drop or an artefact?
The most consistent pattern I see in my larger (non-artifact) increases in SpO2 is that those come 30 seconds after the first larger recovery breath after what I consider a  mini-RERA. The larger several second (non-artifact) desats are less clearly marked by FR, TV or MV, but are somewhat consistent. This is what I see using a Contec CMS50I oximeter on my second finger of my left hand. I assume the lag in SpO2 rise is from time it takes better oxygenated (recovery breath) blood from the lung to be pumped to my finger tip. This is interesting, but I don't know a way to change what I see if I wanted to, the VAuto having reduced my FL and SA to minimal levels.

I marked your graphs with pairs of shorter and longer bars to illustrate what I think happened in your desat. The first bar marks the point where the FR has been low and about 75 seconds later the third bar marks the corresponding desat. The second bar marks the largest inhalation after the low FR and it corresponds, in my scheme, with the sharp rise of SpO2 from the local average, again, 75 seconds later. I find that when large (non-artifact) swings are happening FR and SpO2 curves are about 30 seconds out of phase--SpO2 points of rise or drop are about 30 seconds after significant change in FR, TV or MV--FR particularly.

You might look at displays of FR and SpO2 that show the full height and depth of the two curves. Check for a pattern, beginning with checking the time that has elapsed between a sharp increase in FR, TV or MV and the next sharp start of a rise from a low SpO2. In my case that is the most consistent part of a pattern that is less evident in pinpointing the time when FR has fallen and causes a desat.

2SB

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ox saturation and CPAP therapy dandan1978 3 176 03-12-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad AHI and oxygen saturation worse with CPAP Philio 6 1,222 12-18-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Philio
  Can you tell if these are true CAs and OAs? Kathy14225 24 1,347 11-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 735 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Are the machine AHI numbers accurate? 92 to 2 seems too good to be true? apoleary 5 665 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Mask prices to good to be true ?? sauerkraut 11 1,033 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.