Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Condensation in Mask
Condensation in Mask
For the past two nights I have been getting condensation in the mask with the ClimateLine Tubing.  The tube is clear and the condensation seems to be in the mask.  On both nights the room temp was 66 - 67.

Night 1: Straight 77 / 4.

Night 2: I started out auto climate control and auto tube temp.  It felt slightly warm so I kept auto climate on and changed the tube temp to 77.  I'm guessing with auto climate on the machine sets the humidity level for the tube temp to avoid condensation.  I've used auto climate on and tube temp 77 for most of the past week with no issues with the same room temps.

Any idea why I would get condensation using the auto setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Condensation in Mask
(03-11-2019, 04:28 AM)zzz1 Wrote: For the past two nights I have been getting condensation in the mask with the ClimateLine Tubing.  The tube is clear and the condensation seems to be in the mask.  On both nights the room temp was 66 - 67.

Night 1: Straight 77 / 4.

Night 2: I started out auto climate control and auto tube temp.  It felt slightly warm so I kept auto climate on and changed the tube temp to 77.  I'm guessing with auto climate on the machine sets the humidity level for the tube temp to avoid condensation.  I've used auto climate on and tube temp 77 for most of the past week with no issues with the same room temps.

Any idea why I would get condensation using the auto setting?

Soooo it turns out that in the middle of the night I thought I changed the settings to 77 / auto climate control, but apparently did not and did 77/4 again.  Please disregard. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I can get condensation in the mask when the room is cooler than my usual 22C (72F), Our nose and lungs add a lot of moisture to the air we exhale, so if the mask is cool, that moisture will condense on it.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
zzz1, what mask model are your using? A full face mask presents a large surface area to the ambient air, and if humid air hits that cooler surface, it can condense. The solution is to reduce humidity, increase the temperature, or insulate the mask surface. Take a look at the Pad A Cheek full face mask liner, or the CPAP Comfort Cover as examples of insulation. Also, you might turn the heated hose temperature higher (80 F) to provide a slightly higher temperature with the same humidity into the mask. The other way to avoid this is keep the room warmer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 10:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: zzz1, what mask model are your using?  A full face mask presents a large surface area to the ambient air, and if humid air hits that cooler surface, it can condense. The solution is to reduce humidity, increase the temperature, or insulate the mask surface.  Take a look at the Pad A Cheek full face mask liner, or the CPAP Comfort Cover as examples of insulation. Also, you might turn the heated hose temperature higher (80 F) to provide a slightly higher temperature with the same humidity into the mask.  The other way to avoid this is keep the room warmer.

I’m using the F20. I thought I had left it set in Auto Climate but when I checked it was in manual mode. The tube itself was clear so it probably was the combination of the humid air and warm breath hitting the cooler mask surface.
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed that the condensation is only in between the part of the mask where the headgear attaches and the the part where the cushion attaches to it, but not beyond that area.  Is that pretty much normal for condensation?  The tube remains clear.

I'm only asking again because I used AutoClimate On and I didn't expect to see any condensation with the machine handling everything.  I did change the temp to 77, but kept AutoClimate On and expect the machine compensates.  Room temp was 66.

I dropped the mask a couple of times and it popped apart.  I put a new cushion on since, but wonder if the headgear part of the mask where the cushion attaches became slightly off somehow?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to prevent condensation in the tubing? TiredTom111 5 733 06-24-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,555 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Condensation kschlanker 3 580 04-28-2023, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Condensation after adding a support Ghandi 4 562 04-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Ghandi
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,661 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,334 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,906 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.