Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this mouth breathing?
I have been using CPAP since Apr of this year, diagnosed with severe OSA (39 AHI). Started with Full face F20, but my claustrophobia prevented extended use. I have since gone back & forth between N20, Dreamwear nasal cushions & gel pillows. Please see the attached graphs; is this indicative of mouth breathing? This is a typical night; N20 & DW leak rates are similiar.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I'll say it probably is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second that you may find a soft cervical collar holds your mouth shut as you have issues with the full face masks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I third that: large leak looks just like mine.

And I second what jaswilliams said, and add that you might be like me and need extra help keeping your mouth shut (while sleeping – they haven't invented anything that can shut me up when I'm awake).  I'm looking at a combination chin strap and the "Eliminator" that almost solves the problem.  And if you don't have facial hair (or if you're tougher than I am), lots of folks report that taping works wonders.

Keep on keepin' on, 'cause those leaks gotta be conquered!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice; I think I will give the collar another attempt.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I find it hard to believe you haven't awakened if you are experiencing mouth-breathing or even a merely sagging mouth resulting in separated lips and an outflow of air.  You should be awakening at some point and feeling a terrible feeling in your mouth, a very dry one, if you are not using a full coverage mask.  Perhaps this only happens, if it is the case, when you can't practically be awakened without some serious stimulus, something more than air rushing out of your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 02:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I find it hard to believe you haven't awakened if you are experiencing mouth-breathing or even a merely sagging mouth resulting in separated lips and an outflow of air.  You should be awakening at some point and feeling a terrible feeling in your mouth, a very dry one, if you are not using a full coverage mask.  Perhaps this only happens, if it is the case, when you can't practically be awakened without some serious stimulus, something more than air rushing out of your mouth.

Lots of people have mouth leaks without waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 08:11 AM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 02:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I find it hard to believe you haven't awakened if you are experiencing mouth-breathing or even a merely sagging mouth resulting in separated lips and an outflow of air.  You should be awakening at some point and feeling a terrible feeling in your mouth, a very dry one, if you are not using a full coverage mask.  Perhaps this only happens, if it is the case, when you can't practically be awakened without some serious stimulus, something more than air rushing out of your mouth.

Lots of people have mouth leaks without waking up.

What?!!  I'm not unique?  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I know, I have done so myself.  But it is relatively rare with me, and not since I realized I needed an aid of some kind to keep my lips sealed. At some point I would awaken and realize what was happening either due to the dry mouth or the gale of air emitting from my opened lips.  I guess some just don't awaken until much later.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(06-13-2018, 11:57 AM)mesenteria Wrote: <snip>
or the gale of air emitting from my opened lips.  I guess some just don't awaken until much later.

Dielaughing   Yep, I've experienced that.

And SleepyHead tells me that I've slept through a bunch of them!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow rate? - another unwell feeling, O2 dropping and quit breathing MyronH 16 207 3 hours ago
Last Post: ShaunBlake
  Is my breathing pattern normal? retlif 12 382 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CA readings in SleepyHead...Mouth Breather?? Figgy15 14 252 06-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Figgy15
  Waking up with air rushing out of my mouth Momsterjo 4 191 06-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  Solution for dry mouth Floridagirl 5 341 06-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Floridagirl
  Periodic Breathing Haynbo 4 251 05-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Somnifix mouth tape MrZennie 2 197 05-23-2018, 08:38 PM
Last Post: MrZennie