Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this mouth breathing?
Is this mouth breathing?
I have been using CPAP since Apr of this year, diagnosed with severe OSA (39 AHI). Started with Full face F20, but my claustrophobia prevented extended use. I have since gone back & forth between N20, Dreamwear nasal cushions & gel pillows. Please see the attached graphs; is this indicative of mouth breathing? This is a typical night; N20 & DW leak rates are similiar.

[attachment=6635]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this mouth breathing?
I'll say it probably is.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I second that you may find a soft cervical collar holds your mouth shut as you have issues with the full face masks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I third that: large leak looks just like mine.

And I second what jaswilliams said, and add that you might be like me and need extra help keeping your mouth shut (while sleeping – they haven't invented anything that can shut me up when I'm awake).  I'm looking at a combination chin strap and the "Eliminator" that almost solves the problem.  And if you don't have facial hair (or if you're tougher than I am), lots of folks report that taping works wonders.

Keep on keepin' on, 'cause those leaks gotta be conquered!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice; I think I will give the collar another attempt.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it hard to believe you haven't awakened if you are experiencing mouth-breathing or even a merely sagging mouth resulting in separated lips and an outflow of air.  You should be awakening at some point and feeling a terrible feeling in your mouth, a very dry one, if you are not using a full coverage mask.  Perhaps this only happens, if it is the case, when you can't practically be awakened without some serious stimulus, something more than air rushing out of your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 02:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I find it hard to believe you haven't awakened if you are experiencing mouth-breathing or even a merely sagging mouth resulting in separated lips and an outflow of air.  You should be awakening at some point and feeling a terrible feeling in your mouth, a very dry one, if you are not using a full coverage mask.  Perhaps this only happens, if it is the case, when you can't practically be awakened without some serious stimulus, something more than air rushing out of your mouth.

Lots of people have mouth leaks without waking up.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 08:11 AM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 02:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I find it hard to believe you haven't awakened if you are experiencing mouth-breathing or even a merely sagging mouth resulting in separated lips and an outflow of air.  You should be awakening at some point and feeling a terrible feeling in your mouth, a very dry one, if you are not using a full coverage mask.  Perhaps this only happens, if it is the case, when you can't practically be awakened without some serious stimulus, something more than air rushing out of your mouth.

Lots of people have mouth leaks without waking up.

What?!!  I'm not unique?  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I know, I have done so myself.  But it is relatively rare with me, and not since I realized I needed an aid of some kind to keep my lips sealed. At some point I would awaken and realize what was happening either due to the dry mouth or the gale of air emitting from my opened lips.  I guess some just don't awaken until much later.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 11:57 AM)mesenteria Wrote: <snip>
or the gale of air emitting from my opened lips.  I guess some just don't awaken until much later.

Dielaughing   Yep, I've experienced that.

And SleepyHead tells me that I've slept through a bunch of them!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,118 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 804 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.