Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this normal for SpO2 to drop this fast during an OA?
Is this normal for SpO2 to drop this fast during an OA?
First, since switching to BIPAP, my AHI has been <1 this past week. But I still have these crazy fast drops in SpO2, during even short events.

Here is a sample. This UA lasted 16sec, and O2 dropped from 93% to 80% within about 40sec. This occured three more times last night.

I had my Contec O2 monitor alarm turned on at 88%, but apparently it didn't wake me up until it was 80%. I'm hesitant now to sleep with the O2 alarm off, because i don't know if the events would be longer and O2 would drop more. My last sleep study, when they switched me to BIPAP, they said I had ZERO events, with NO drop in O2. But the sleep study shows my pressure was set at a higher constant rate on BIPAP. They started me on BIPAP at 14/10, with final titration at 16/12. I guess that means IPAP Max 16, EPAP 12?

If that's the case, I still don't understand why he has me starting a low EPAP. It was EPAP 4 PS4, but I was having major events yet. So I switched it to EPAP 5, PS3, and that took care of almost everything. Except I still have a few O2 drops.

1. Are these O2 drops considered normal during events?
2. Anyone know why BIPAP at lower pressure is working better for me, then my APAP ever did from 7-14 EPR1?
3. This is the 2nd sleep doctor I've been to, and now had 4 sleep studies in two years. Both always say "you are doing great", and only look into the main AHI number with their MyAir/ResMed clinical software. Are all doctors like this, or do any actually go deeper into figuring out what is going on with people?
4. I am feeling much better now, since being on BIPAP IPAP max 16, EPAP5, PS3. But still would like to fix these O2 drops. I'm not sure what to do, or if i just need to live with these minor drops?

[Image: PW6IfpV.jpg][Image: FxE0rD4.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this normal for SpO2 to drop this fast during an OA?
You still need to try and sort your leaks, as the therapeutic pressure that will be holding your airway open is escaping somewhere you are in Large Leak for 45% of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 11:29 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: You still need to try and sort your leaks, as the therapeutic pressure that will be holding your airway open is escaping somewhere you are in Large Leak for 45% of the night.

Well I went this past week to my DME and showed them the sleepyhead chart leaks. They kept telling me the machine compensates for the leaks and don't have to worry about it. They did order me a new foam liner for my AirTouch mask, so maybe that will help. But I hate when DME and sleep doctor says all is good and still there are some minor issues.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
For a 10 second apnea, that seems like an awfully fast desaturation. I guess if we count the reduction in volume ahead of the apena and go through the end of the expiration before recovery breathing, it is nearly 25 seconds. It has the appearance of a central followed by a clear arousal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 11:55 AM)MyronH Wrote: Well I went this past week to my DME and showed them the sleepyhead chart leaks. They kept telling me the machine compensates for the leaks and don't have to worry about it. 

The machines do compensate for leaks - up to a point.  They did not look very closely as the charts as you are way beyond that point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a test. Put on your oximeter and turn it on. Let it settle. Let out the air in your lungs and hold it for as long as you can. See what happens to the O2.

To further test, do it with the machine on. Do one where you block your throat with your tongue (obstructive) and one where you leave it open (central/clear airway). Note how the O2 reacts. Give yourself time between each one so you don't get lightheaded. Let the O2 reading get back to normal.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
That could just be a movement artifact/loss of contact on the pulse oximeter, aka a glitch and not a real saturation dip. The sharpness at which it dips and recovers looks very suspect. And above the graph itself that dark black line for this software indicates artifact as far as I can remember.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 06:48 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: That could just be a movement artifact/loss of contact on the pulse oximeter, aka a glitch and not a real saturation dip. The sharpness at which it dips and recovers looks very suspect. And above the graph itself that dark black line for this software indicates artifact as far as I can remember.

I thought the black lines indicate major fluctuations?  I see these black lines when my heart rate fluctuates a lot and not stay steady.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 03:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Here's a test. Put on your oximeter and turn it on. Let it settle. Let out the air in your lungs and hold it for as long as you can. See what happens to the O2.

To further test, do it with the machine on. Do one where you block your throat with your tongue (obstructive) and one where you leave it open (central/clear airway). Note how the O2 reacts. Give yourself time between each one so you don't get lightheaded. Let the O2 reading get back to normal.

Thanks I'll try that to see what happens. But I just had a thought. Whenever I have large leaks, my O2 is usually stable and doesn't drop. When I have no leaks, that is when my O2 drops.

My bipap was leaking this past month. Turned out to be water chamber. When it leaked I had very minimum O2 drops. 

Is it possible my O2 is more stable due to increases airflow caused by leaks?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 414 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 385 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 824 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 673 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 227 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,050 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.