Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this normal for a nasal mask ?
Question 
Is this normal for a nasal mask ?

I just bought a ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask after using a FFM for 2 weeks without good results ! After 3 nights with the nasal masks, my AHI averages about 2.5 ( compared to about 20 with the FFM) .

However, with the nasal mask, air comes out of my mouth each time my lips open . It is definitely expulsed from inside my mouth ( not leaking from the mask at all ) . Is this normal for nasal mask users ? Huh

How can you explain this air flow from the mouth when I am breathing through the nose ? Huh

Please comment . Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this normal for a nasal mask ?
What goes in must come out and I guess it comes out of your mouth but that isn't anything that a good chin strap won't help with. You probably didn't know it because you were using a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the case of FFM, the air does not rush out of the mouth like it is going to a party. That's because the air that presses into the nose, and into the mouth, is at the same pressure. No exit point, so no rush of air. When it is nasal mask only, the mouth represents an external leak point, so the air rushes out the hole.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2015, 11:34 AM)me50 Wrote: What goes in must come out and I guess it comes out of your mouth but that isn't anything that a good chin strap won't help with. You probably didn't know it because you were using a FFM.

Normally, I breathe in and out through the nose (waking period & under the masks ,i.e. nasal or FFM ) . If I close my mouth, it's OK . The minute my lips are open unintentionally, the air rushes out and wakes me up !

How do most people breathe under a nasal mask , I wonder ? Do they reathe in and out by the nose ? Or do they breathe in by nose and breath out by mouth ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tommyngo,
You might try a chinstrap and see if that helps you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Its called "chipmunk cheeks", some people have a trick up their sleeve, place their tongue at the roof of the mouth, act as door stopper
Prevent air escape through the mouth and goes down where should go

Others resort to disparate measures, tape their mouth shut, not recommending this method, can be dangerous in case power goes down
Unlike full face mask, nasal mask does not have a valve to open allow room air enter the mask
so you can breathe and not suffocate, in case of power failure

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2015, 03:08 PM)tommyngo Wrote: How do most people breathe under a nasal mask , I wonder ? Do they reathe in and out by the nose ? Or do they breathe in by nose and breath out by mouth ?
With nasal mask or nasal pillows mask, you must breathe in and breathe out through your nose
Breathing out through your mouth is a no no, render the therapy ineffective
Full face mask, is different kettle of fish, nose and mouth are okay
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='zonk' pid='126804' dateline='1439848612']

Thanks trish6hundred & Zonk and others ...

I might try a chin strap or tape my mouth ( with a hole in the middle of the tape ..) . I did tape my mouth when I used the FFM . It worked but it was bothersome, though ! Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2015, 06:01 PM)tommyngo Wrote: [quote='zonk' pid='126804' dateline='1439848612']

Thanks trish6hundred & Zonk and others ...

I might try a chin strap or tape my mouth ( with a hole in the middle of the tape ..) . I did tape my mouth when I used the FFM . It worked but it was bothersome, though ! Oh-jeez

Just get a good chin strap. They arent costly and last a long time. Im almost to the point i can do without one but been on nasal mask for a good while now.
If my tongue would stay up when i really go into deep sleep id be ok without one. But it wont lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I open my mouth listening for that rush to be sure that I am getting enough air flow before settling. I feel pillows have restricted flow and I am uncomfortable until pressure ramps up.

I find that with low pressures air rushing out the mouth is no problem because I am not a mouth breather although pressure > 10 tends to force it's way past my lips, noisily. My beginner advice is to go with FFM at high pressures but try to find a less obtrusive one at low pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 341 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.