Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this normal
RE: Is this normal
So, the wonderful start I had petered out. Half of my nose blocked, and I have not been feeling great during the day. I started on a humidifier, which cleared matters, and hey, everything went back to normal, i.e. super. But now I'm a bit wary. I do hope this will converge to a "positive" steady state.
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't bother to worry about minor problems that have not yet occurred and may never occur; it's a waste of energy and time.

You will have problems -- you will overcome them.

Salt water lavage can be a real benefit if your nostrils clog up. Simple, cheap, quick, safe, natural, and fairly effective.

The first month, I had to do this every night, sometimes multiple time.

After a while, the nasal pillow mask just held my nasal passages open. YMMV. Make the best of it.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Visitor, from my four months experience I can tell you just when you think you have finally got it, pow, you lose it. Not to worry it comes back again.
I am going through one of those times at the moment when I can't seem to find my sweet spot, I have looked everywhereOh-jeez
So tonight I am going back to my old Swift FX mask just for a change to see how I go.
Don't despair just hang in there and take one day at a time, the good with the bad. You have experienced the good so you know it's possible and you have a great attitude.
Best of luck.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb, my P10 arrived. Can't wait to try it out.

And thanks Gabby!

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like I'll have to become a Buddhist to deal with this thing. Accept change as a given Wink

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
Visitor, you will be ok!
I slept with or tried to with my Swift FX last night and I will be going back to my P10 tonight.
I soon found out why I switched to P10. The vent was so noisy and I had more leaks.
Looking forward to hearing your P10 story.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the P10 is not going well. I tried it out, and I couldn't get enough air. I'll try it out again during the day, as I need to adjust to it. I used the largest size. It hurts my nostrils. The medium size is a better fit, but I get even less air and had to give up on that. I think I need to experiment more with it today. Where does the air go out on the P10? I can't feel it as I can with the nasal mask.

The humidifier also is giving me a lot of condensation. Drops keep falling down the nasal mask. I put up the hose over a height, as I though this might remedy it, but it makes no difference. Not sure what is going wrong.

Because of the condensation, the lanolin, which helped against leaks, is no longer doing its job (at least I think that is the reason).

On the plus side, when I get it right, my nasal mask can stay on with very little strap tension, and this helps me breathe through my nose. If I strap it even slightly tighter, I get trouble breathing through one side.

It's a blasted balancing act. At the moment I prefer the nasal mask, but unless I get the condensation under control, I don't think I will get a peaceful night. And I definitely need the humidifier as it helps a treat keeping both passages open.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Herb, I tried the salt water lavage in the past. Did not have great experience with it unfortunately. Are you doing it diy or using a particular brand? I used Neil Med sinus rinse at the time which did not do the trick for me. I might try again, when I get the other factors a bit better under control.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 12:29 AM)Visitor Wrote: Well, the P10 is not going well. I tried it out, and I couldn't get enough air. I'll try it out again during the day, as I need to adjust to it. I used the largest size. It hurts my nostrils. The medium size is a better fit, but I get even less air and had to give up on that. I think I need to experiment more with it today. Where does the air go out on the P10? I can't feel it as I can with the nasal mask.

First, did you remember to turn the machine on? Just kidding.

Did you remember to tell the machine you were using a "pillows" mask?

Are you using "Ramp?" If so, what does it start at and how long does it take for it to get up to your normal pressure? What is your normal pressures? You may need to adjust the ramp or the starting pressure a little.

As far as where the air goes, that is one of the nice features. It's very well diffused at the sides of the connection piece.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was told by the DME that there is no setting on the Breas to tell it that I'm using a pillows mask. I have no control over the ramp at this stage. The DME locked the Breas. I will have to check the manual for that later on.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 206 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,692 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 725 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 536 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.