Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this normal
RE: Is this normal
Ok, I've read up on the hose issue. Will insulate it to cut out the condensation.
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 12:29 AM)Visitor Wrote: The medium size is a better fit, but I get even less air and had to give up on that.

Hmmm ... I would say that if it fits you better that's the one you should use.

Try to tell yourself that you are getting enough air. When you get anxious about it your heat rate and respiration rate increase, creating the illusion that you're not getting enough air. This is why the adaptation process works when you wear the mask while awake.

Quote:The humidifier also is giving me a lot of condensation. Drops keep falling down the nasal mask.

Turn down the humidifier, or insulate the hose. This is why manufacturers started offering the heated hose option.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster, I'll try to wear it while reading this evening.

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish you'd be able to change to the ResMed S9 Elite with Climate Control line. I've never had an issue with condensation, using that along with the heated humidifier unit. Also, I have found that the ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows are so comfortable, and fit me well, without any irritation or leakage. I'd always been a "mouth breather" in the past and started with the face mask for a year and did well but had some leakage. When I considered trying the nasal pillows I was concerned about that being an issue and tried a chin strap which I hated. My local provider told me that often after a few days one's body will adjust to the nasal pillows (if they are properly fitted and one is getting the correct pressure -- mine is automatic), and a chin strap isn't necessary. That was the case, because I monitored my data closely and actually have much better results using nasal pillows, and don't use the chin strap. I really think a lot has to do with the CPAP machine and accessories (and fit) that are used as to how well one does.

When I was using my face mask I used a CPAP pillow (with side cutouts) and that helped some with the leakage. I still use it, because I like the height and angle that it gives my neck.

As far as changing masks/headgear/pillows, etc., to get a good fit, my local supplier/provider told me that I had 30 days to change to something else without an added charge, to make sure I had what worked properly. This was also the case when I changed to nasal pillows. I think this is a standard practice. You might want to consult with your supplier to see if this also applies, and if not, you may want to change to another supply provider.

Before using CPAP I used to have sinus problems and morning throat/lung congestion, but since I've used the ResMed S9 with heated humidifier and tubing, I'm no longer having those issues.

In the future, if you are able to purchase a CPAP machine (such as ResMed), that you are able to download data
to your computer from the SD card (using Sleepyhead and/or ResScan), you'll be able to pinpoint any issues you may have, and the time and duration of any problems. It was by doing that, that I realized that any apnea episodes I still had coincided with my mask leakages.

By the way, the only times I had problems with water in my mask (with my heated humidifier and heated tubing) was when I overfilled the tank, and it starting "spitting" water in my mask, so make sure you aren't doing that either.

Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, my machine is a ResMed S9 AutoSet Elite with H5i humidifier, and my pressure range is set from 11-17. The pressure adjusts when it is needed, and that has worked great for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Brenda, I have no option to switch as far as I know. I may buy one at my own expense if needed or talk to my sleep doc eventually to see if I can switch if needed.

***pretty desperate today***

I used my nasal mask last night, but insulated the tubing and kept the hose low rather than hanging it over a chair (or greater height).

Yesterday I felt terrible. I slept during the day for one hour (I'm fully compliant so used the mask), and woke even worse, short of breath. I felt like my breathing had petered out, far too slow as if I had given up somehow. Not to the point of suffocating, but more like it having become too shallow to make enough difference. When I woke I had to sit in a chair for a while to let my breathing get back to normal, feeling out of breath.

Today I did wake up feeling I was suffocating. I realized my face had slipped down the pillow and my nasal mask was pressed firmly up against my nose, making it impossible to get enough air. Yesterday and today I had a headache and my head feels stuffed, like I have a cold/allergies. Last night I took allergy medicine to counteract that. No effect. I woke up, feeling terrible because the mask seemed to block my breathing, and later on was barely able to breath due to congestion. The hydration helped the first night to decongest. After that I woke up congested. I'm not able to read the data, which is frustrating.

I only have a meeting with the sleep doc at the end of the month. I will have to call him earlier. Last time I felt this bad (terribly out of breath during the day), it was because I had worn no chin strap. I wore that consistently since then. I have no clue what is going on. I could try the P10 tonight to see if it makes any difference, but this really put a dent in my positive experience. I need to find out what is going on. This morning's episode, feeling like I was suffocating, really rattled me. Such days are worse than having no mask. This is worrying as I have used nasal sprays before, with similar results. First few days feeling great, then regressing till little or no effect.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
Update: I used the P10, sleeping for one hour during the day and woke up totally refreshed. This thing works. It's amazing. Too soon to declare it a winner, but I'll ditch that nasal mask for now and move on with the P10. Fingers crossed.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 10:11 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 12:29 AM)Visitor Wrote: The medium size is a better fit, but I get even less air and had to give up on that.

Hmmm ... I would say that if it fits you better that's the one you should use.

Try to tell yourself that you are getting enough air. When you get anxious about it your heat rate and respiration rate increase, creating the illusion that you're not getting enough air. This is why the adaptation process works when you wear the mask while awake.

Quote:The humidifier also is giving me a lot of condensation. Drops keep falling down the nasal mask.

Turn down the humidifier, or insulate the hose. This is why manufacturers started offering the heated hose option.

Thanks again Sleepster. This was great advice (again!). I got desperate with the nasal mask and the P10 really made a difference once I realized I should just breathe normally and trust the set up. Looking forward to tonight, after a horrible night of not getting air. This learning curve is a real roller coaster.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2014, 12:50 AM)Visitor Wrote: Last time I felt this bad (terribly out of breath during the day), it was because I had worn no chin strap. I wore that consistently since then. I have no clue what is going on.

The elastic bands of the chin strap get stretched out over time. The solution may be as simple as tightening the chin strap.

Do you have a spare chin strap? I always keep an extra on hand because eventually they do wear out and lose all of their elasticity.

I'm not familiar with your machine, but if there's some way to look at your leak rate it would be helpful to do so. If your problem is caused by a loose chin strap then it will show up as a too-large leak rate.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, the chin strap is brand new. I'll tighten it a bit more and will use the P10.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 414 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 252 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,692 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 847 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 725 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 536 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.