Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this real Cheyne Stokes Respiration or not ?
Is this real Cheyne Stokes Respiration or not ?
[attachment=15618][attachment=15619]
Have been on my therapy for since April of this year and although a few scattered centrals showed up now and then I have never seen anything like what just happened last night and this morning.

Both times I was awake or at least partially so I am hoping it is just sleep/wake junk.

I have had a running AHI under 2.0 for the last month or so. When I have seen centrals they always show in groups only after waking and then trying to drift back off.

I have attached the zoomed in Sleepyhead data for both times today.

Thank you for taking a look at this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this real Cheyne Stokes Rerspiration or not ?
You have quite the range between bottom and top pressures, but your machine only seems to want to operate in a narrow range, virtually never above about 7.5-8.0.  Also, when you factor in your EPR of a whopping 3 cm, you're often left gasping down at about 4-5 cm if its actually backing off on the expiration pressure.

I see CAs, but let's wait for some of the brighter bulbs here to offer their opinions.  Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not Cheyne Stoke. The shape of the breathing between the central is not sinusoidal. Probably sleep wake junk as you said

Cheyne Stokes looks like this[Image: Po5bH2o_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]
Post Reply Post Reply
That is definitely periodic breathing and not CSR
I suggest your first move is to
1. post a full copy of your sleep studies,
2. Post a full set of your nightly charts
3. turnoff your EPR (or set it = 0)
now post and revaluate after a night with EPR=0
Post Reply Post Reply
So since it tends to happen only at waking with last night's data being the sole exception, would changing the EPR likely lessen the phenomenon of seeing it as possible sleep/wake jun ?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
tou have the periodic breathing and centrals over a 3 hour period,  I doubt all that is while awake.  It is too regular in pattern, there is little sign of significant increases in breathing volume or frequency.  Yes there is some, but not as much as I expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just kinda weird since I have never had more than a few centrals in any night.

A running average for the entire time I have had the machine is around 1.4.

Last night was crazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Centrals have a habit of being consistently inconsistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2019, 08:29 PM)jsljsljsl Wrote: Just kinda weird since I have never had more than a few centrals in any night.

A running average for the entire time I have had the machine is around 1.4.

Last night was crazy.

Then wait to see if it happens again or not then. No need to worry for just one night unless it becomes the new normal. I would not change a successful therapy based on just one night. If you were awake, these centrals don't count anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this real Cheyne Stokes Respiration or not ?
[attachment=15996][attachment=15997]

Still need to post full study but here is the latest charts from last night. Weird centrals after waking but keeping mask on again.

Also, is respiration rate an issue. Doesn't seem correct. Seems too high.

Thank you again for your help !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 103 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Real or False CAs? SingingWolf 3 288 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 251 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 184 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 295 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 331 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.