Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this really Cheyne Stokes??
Is this really Cheyne Stokes??
Hello all,
I am posting two images from SH below.
This is the second night in a week that I have had about 15 mins flagged as Cheyne Stokes Respiration. The AHI is also quite high for me. I have been averaging <3 typically. The first time I saw this CSR flag it lasted for 19 mins and my AHI for the night was 5.8.
I'm not sure what caused the large leak before this event but that is not typical. The previous day that I had the CSR flag there was no such leak.
The breathing pattern seems abnormal to what my typical apnea events look like because I usually don't have so many in such a condensed cluster.
Could this actually be CSR? If so, what exactly does that mean because googling it gives lots of scary information.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

[Image: c8kr3HZ.png]
[Image: yoZRAw2.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this really Cheyne Stokes??
This is not Cheyne Stokes Respiration (CSR).

CSR is characterised by a slow uniform waxing and waving of the flow, usually / often with a clear airway apnea recorded at the lowest flow. What I see in your charts are repeated obstructive apneas. You are being jolted awake and taking a big recovery breath (the vertical line at the end of the apnea), then your breathing becomes obstructed again after a minute or so. This is a form of periodic breathing but is not Cheyne Stokes. (And I believe #Sleepyhead is in error for calling it Cheyne Stokes).

My guess is that the repeated apneas are positional, due to sleeping on your back or through your chin dropping down to your chest, thus blocking the airway. If you don't already, try sleeping on your side. You could also try a soft cervical collar to support you head and prevent it from dropping down.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 272 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 100 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 869 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 339 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 360 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need advice - Clear Airway Apnea and Cheyne Stokes skiphudspeth 7 661 12-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New to CPAP, just used OSCAR for the first time, should I be concerned?(Cheyne Stoke) breckenk 23 2,320 11-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: breckenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.