Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this the best I can do?
RE: Is this the best I can do?
(09-11-2019, 10:18 PM)alexp Wrote: How tall are you? Your median tidal volume seems a bit low.

5' 6"
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 10:59 PM)bonjour Wrote: Speaking of history, it would be great if you posted redacted copies of your sleep studies, full copies with charts and tables and not just summaries.  Summaries often leave out important details that are important.  Right now your diagnostic study is important because of your higher percentage of Central Apneas than most people.

I have obtained a copy of my sleep study by email. I don't know if this is the full thing or just a summary. Please let me know if you need more and I will contact my doc again. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK that is your detailed report, that's good as it's got some info to help out. Reports show 1 mixed apnea, 5 centrals, 12 Hypopnea, and 190 obstructive. This could be treatment emergent central apnea that we're seeing in that earlier post of your OSCAR chart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the FLEX setting for the past three nights. Here are my OSCAR charts. I'm not swallowing air now (thank you!) as far as I can tell. A couple of times I have noticed that I wake up with a really dry throat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
OK a bit of progress there, that's good. On the dry mouth: What's the status on your humidifier settings and usage? It appears you're not using a full face mask, so are there any mouth leaks that may contribute to the dryness?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2019, 05:10 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK a bit of progress there, that's good. On the dry mouth: What's the status on your humidifier settings and usage? It appears you're not using a full face mask, so are there any mouth leaks that may contribute to the dryness?

I’m not using the humidifier. I just seem to tolerate cpap better without it. I don’t know about mouth leaks. I am pretty certain that I sleep with my mouth closed. Previously I have notice that on high pressure air leaks out between my lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great good progress.

for the dry mouth, try a product called Biotene or xylimelts to get relief from this symptom.  For now only looking for a few days of relief.

The hard part
we need to raise pressure to help eliminate the obstructive events, and hopefully not initiate aerophagia.

Set min pressure to 12, looking at 13 tomorrow.

If this doesn't work, and we do need to give it a honest try, we will have some evidence that CPAP may not be the right machine for you and to try a BiLevel such as the VAuto.  The argument will be that the added pressure support will allow a lower average pressure thus gaining satisfactory treatment of your obstructive events without the painful aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
(09-13-2019, 06:06 PM)bonjour Wrote: The hard part we need to raise pressure to help eliminate the obstructive events, and hopefully not initiate aerophagia.

Set min pressure to 12, looking at 13 tomorrow.

If this doesn't work, and we do need to give it a honest try, we will have some evidence that CPAP may not be the right machine for you and to try a BiLevel such as the VAuto.  The argument will be that the added pressure support will allow a lower average pressure thus gaining satisfactory treatment of your obstructive events without the painful aerophagia.

So I am using C-Flex. Last night I raised minimum pressure to 12. I always try to sleep on my side. On my side, I kept waking up with these weird air sounds escaping in my throat. Tried on my back and I could tell I was becoming full of air so rolled back to side. Air escaping sounds coming up throat again. I don't know if this is from stomach or lungs. It's not painful, more annoying. Do I still keep it at 12 or should I go up. How long is an honest try? Do you think it could get better? Ugh! I just know I am not sleeping soundly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are sensing air we definitely do not want to go up. Let's leave it here for a couple of nights, and see if these symptoms ease.
Remember a failure is providing justification to at least trial a BiLevel. We (mostly you) need evidence to convince your doctor, so keep track of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem on not using the humidifier. Like bonjour mentioned, Biotene can help. He's also suggested a few other things to build a case for BPAP. Let's view the results in a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.