Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this true - US government subsidises CPAP
Question 
Is this true - US government subsidises CPAP
The following is from Resmed's Sleepvantage site in the FAQ titled "Why is there a cost difference between similar products sold in Australia and the United States?"

The US government recognises the health consequence of untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), and subsidises OSA therapy.

Is this true?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Is this true - US government subsidises CPAP
It's the first I've heard about this. I think it is more a combination of competition from P-R and Resmed not enjoying the government protection that they get in Oz.
Post Reply Post Reply
Free market system, build a better mouse trap or cut you cost (and profit) to get the consumer money. 

The few use every resource available to them to keep the hustle going, with special attention given to manipulating the gullible mob.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2017, 02:05 AM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Free market system, build a better mouse trap or cut you cost (and profit) to get the consumer money. 

The medical industry is hardly a free market. It is regulated, subsidised and distorted in a dozen other ways. Which goes to my question - does the US government actually subsidise CPAP, or is Resmed lying to the people of Australia?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I suspect a bald-faced lie. The discounts in the U.S. market come through gray market resellers. Most recently I saw a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset on Amazon for only $440. Subsidy does not account for that level of discounting. The DME distribution channel keeps the prices of these items high by bundling with services and being very opaque about prices. Legitimate online sellers/DMEs are restricted by minimum advertised price restrictions imposed by manufacturers that, if violated, can result in loss of reseller rights. The rogue sellers are probably near wholesale prices and working on volume and dealing in cash or PayPal to cut overhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
"government is always a means for the few to exploit the many.

The few use every resource available to them to keep the hustle going, with special attention given to manipulating the gullible mob" - Bill Bonner

Laws, codes, rules, restricted selling call it what ever you want. Unless it is stolen it is the market. If it is stolen property and you buy it shame on you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paul: One thing about the USG, it's impossible to follow the money. Sure, they could be subsidizing the market in some fashion. But, you'll never find the money trail. When, the Congress actually presents a budget. It's volume after volume. You need a 2.5 ton truck to transport the paper copy.

Remember, ResMed started in Australia in 1989; but relocated to San Diego, CA USA in 1990. They are in fact a US company.
When the USG subsidizes something, they do it through tax incentives.

How that factors into what people pay in Australia -- Ich weiß es nicht.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Cheaper in US is no brainer ...
Regardless of what they say, its all about percentages, 50% of their products sold in US and half of that bought by insurance
The other 50% sold to the rest of the world
We pay more for everything in Australia, groceries, books, cars, etc.. even Vegemite is cheaper overseas
Post Reply Post Reply
they aren't really trying to say that USgov subsidises the cpaps on amazon, 1800cpap etc are they?
They may be trying to spin an insurance copay from a DME in some way. bit that would be the same as saying augov subsides cpap through private ins medicare
new http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
From machine or charts for auto-cpap, set the min at 'med' median pressure, or 2cm below 90/95%. max at 20cm for now. Forum will help you fine tune settings
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.sleepvantage.com.au/support/faqs.html#US

Most of what they write could be argued one way or the other. But it seems that they are stating a simple "fact": The US government recognises the health consequence of untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), and subsidises OSA therapy which could well be a fake fact. If so I want to call them on it, but I need to know the true fact first.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Stupid Government made me spill my gasoline! SuperSleeper 16 5,863 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Paptillian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.