Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is upgrading worthwhile?
Is upgrading worthwhile?
Is there really that much difference between the newer and older machines? The Dreamstation and the older Respironics BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex seems to have virtually identical capabilities. It doesn’t seem worthwhile upgrading unless your older machine has actually died, (which is why I bought a new one). Any thoughts, any one?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is upgrading worthwhile?
It is hard to judge the capabilities of newer machines versus older machines without knowing the specifics of the therapy algorithms and if they have been updated to reflect a better understanding of treatment modalities. Therefore, I would consider the reliability of the new machine to be the significant factor, followed by cost. I would also be thankful that I had a backup machine.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't have a backup machine, then definitely, and as soon as possible. If you have a backup machine and your current machine is "optimally" treating yourself, well then you have plenty of time. I for one couldn't go without at least a lessor grade machine and I know that there are others who feel the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2020, 05:26 AM)BobbieM Wrote: Is there really that much difference between the newer and older machines? The Dreamstation and the older Respironics BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex seems to have virtually identical capabilities. It doesn’t seem worthwhile upgrading unless your older machine has actually died, (which is why I bought a new one). Any thoughts, any one?

I recently (May 2020) upgraded my S9 Autoser to an Airsense 10 Autoset for Her.  Both were/are set to the same pressure range of 10 to 20, EPR 3.  With the S9 Autoset, my 95% pressure was averaging 14.6.  With the A10, I tested all 3 Auto modes, and the best one has me running a 95% pressure just above 11.  This drop is huge for someone with Aerophagia.  Sorry I can't offer any experience with Phillips gear, I've always used Resmed, but clearly Resmed has improved their treatment Algorithms in the last 5+ years.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on how old your current machine is and how many hours are on it. If it's 5 or more years old and/or 15-20,000 hours yes start looking. Maybe when you do get a new machine, you'd consider a ResMed. That would be noticeably different in a better way. Possibly part of the reason you don't notice a difference in your Respironics is that the algorithm in each is basically the same, they don't bother modifying it much, but ResMed has. Just my 2 cents worth.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bobbie, an upgrade would have been Resmed. Sorry.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much all you people who responded. I didn’t realise that algorithms matter. I had always thought that if both machines provided, say, ramp or biPAP capabilities that the only difference would be price. I had not come across much information on the web regarding algorithms and never gave it any thought. Most useful, people.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. If you were to try the ResMed, you'd never go back to Respironics.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is fair to say that both Respironics and Resmed have offered the same basic therapy for the last 15-20 years in the CPAP class. Resmed made their CPAP a bilevel machine starting with the S8, and Respironics has been using the same C-Flex and A-Flex since 2002. Once a medical device is patented and has approval, it is very difficult to change it, so going back to the title of this thread, the replacement of a machine with another one from the same manufacturer has always been an update, not an upgrade. You get improvements in the interface, not the therapy. Patents and FDA approvals rule, and nothing substantially changes.

In the background, the patient is not really the consumer or customer. The decisions or choices are mostly made by doctors, DMEs and insurance, as well as the manufacturers that seek to limit your choice exclusively to their machine by contracting (buying influence) with doctors and suppliers for exclusive distribution rights. To become informed enough to know the difference among manufacturers, is really advanced. Most professionals in the sleep medicine field will simply tell you all CPAPs are the same. They're wrong. The differences are significant, but only by changing manufacturer and the associated patents and approvals. Is Android the same as Apple? Once you are in one system or the other, a new machine is just another 5+-year commitment. Both will work predictably, but changing brands might give you functionality that works better for your health.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really am grateful for all the replies. Although I have used CPAP for some time, it’s only recently that I’ve done any research (my excuse is that I grew up in the pre-internet era when people placed their faith in their one medical provider). The doctor recommended the vendor and the vendor (understandably) was not into educating me and told me they would adjust all the settings for me in line with my doctor’s recommendation. It’s only on replacing my old machine that I found out the vendor had disabled the ramp function on that machine (among other things they disabled). No wonder I found compliance difficult. I even stopped using CPAP for a while because it was so uncomfortable. I am really grateful for this forum and happy that I stumbled across it. Thank you folks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curing CSA by upgrading to CRT pacemaker? Per Laursen 1 178 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Upgrading to ResMed 11 - looking for a second look at settings elcarrot 2 667 06-09-2023, 08:56 PM
Last Post: bobola
  After upgrading to Resmed 11 I have had awful sleep for the last 4 nights calmark 8 996 06-05-2022, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Server Issues, slowness, upgrading server soon [solved - server upgraded] SuperSleeper 8 1,258 03-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Upgrading to a AirCurve 10 VAuto isuckatsleeping 3 1,364 12-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  Upgrading to the AutoSet! Stargazer 4 2,155 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Stargazer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.